Highlighted

Group checkboxes

21-10-2008

Hello Gurus

Is there anyway in livecycle designer to group checkboxes? I have a group of 10 check boxes where in I should allow users to select a maximum of 5 check boxes. If they try to check a 6th check box a message box should be displayed.

Replies

Highlighted

pguerett

Total Posts

Correct Answer

pguerett

Total Posts

Correct Answer

pguerett

22-10-2008

You will have to write code to know that only 5 of 10 have been checked. The product will allow you to do 1 of 10 but not more than that.
Highlighted

23-10-2008

Thank you.

I am not able to group the checkboxes and every check box is named differently cb1 to cb10. the form should not allow user to select the 6th box and show an msgbox indicating so.

I would appreciate if any can provide some more details on how to go about writing the javascript in livecycle designer.
Highlighted

pguerett

Total Posts

Correct Answer

pguerett

Total Posts

Correct Answer

pguerett

24-10-2008

As it turns out I just came across a great blog (created by one of my colleages here at Adobe) that tackles this very subject. There are a number of good samples that show how to do this. It is complicated code but you should get the gist of it.

Here is the link. Let me know if you find it helpful.

http://blogs.adobe.com/formfeed/

You will want to look at the discussion of exclusion groups (1,2 and 3)
Highlighted

24-10-2008

Thanks Paul..I created a completely new form with 3 checkboxes.

I created a script object and created the "utility" script object provided in the example. And for the subform "initialize", i wrote the following java script. utility.setMinandMax(this,1,2)..

So I was expecting that I will only be able to select 2 checkboxes at the max, but the form is allowing me to select all the 3.

Much appreciate your help.
Highlighted

24-10-2008

Ok, I got this working by creating a library object of the 'subform' from one of the samples. I then did a drag n drop of the subform into a new blank form and added a few checkboxes. From the heirarchy window, I added a script object given in the sample and named it 'utility' and that's all..everything works great.

However I am not able to implement this into my original form I have been working with. Iam not able to drag the subform object that I earlier added to my library as it appears disabled. This could be because that pdf Iam working with has earlier been imported from a word document. Some of the disabled objects include the "text" object..

Thanks so much for your help!!
Highlighted

pguerett

Total Posts

Correct Answer

pguerett

Total Posts

Correct Answer

pguerett

24-10-2008

Send the form to Livecycle8@gmail.com and I will have a look.
Highlighted

27-10-2008

The form was converted from PDF through MSword. that's the reason i was unable to edit any text or add a custom object. I reconverted the original MS word using livecycle designer and everything works fine now. The checkbox exclusion groups works great too!!

Thanks so much for your help.
Highlighted

27-10-2008

The form was converted from PDF through MSword. that's the reason i was unable to edit any text or add a custom object. I reconverted the original MS word using livecycle designer and everything works fine now.

The checkbox exclusion groups works great too!!

Thanks so much for your help.

rll111

rll111

rll111

08-09-2009

Hi. I have the same limitations I'd like to place on the festival entry form I'm creating. I have categories of performances(vocal, musical theatre, theatre, dance, and instrumental) that teens can choose from, but I have to limit their selections to 2. I'm a graphic designer in Quark, Illustrator and Photoshop; I don't know code! Thanks for any help.