Expand my Community achievements bar.

Guidelines for the Responsible Use of Generative AI in the Experience Cloud Community.

Form with multiple question fields, each expandable

Former Community Member
I have a form with 7 separate questions. The questions are "text fields", with the caption on top, default height is .75", and all 7 fields span the width of the portrait page. I would like each field to expand in height beyond the initial .75", based on what the user enters into them. Question #1 field has a "Y" value of 3.5", question #2 field starts with a "Y' value of 4.25", etc.

When the user enters information into question field #1 and the field expands in height, then question fields 2 thru 7 follow at the end of question field 1. The same would hold true for any subsequent question field. Further, each field would carry over to a new page if either 1) the information entered by the user exceeds the available space on the page (the information for that question is shown at the bottom of page X AND the top of page Y) and 2) the subsequent questions have not yet been answered.

In designing this form, I am restricted so that the form can also be printed to hard copy and filled out by hand for custodial staff that have no PCs. I have tried using the sample forms out there on this forum and also on the Adobe LiveCycle Designer Samples webpage, tweaking them to meet my needs, but all to no avail.

By the way, I'm using Form Designer Version 7.1.2295.24059 and Reader 7.0.5.

Does someone have a sample that they can email me (ssuede@ladhs.org), or am I asking for the impossible? :-)
16 Replies

Level 10
I have sent a file.

Bsically, I set up a Flowing SubForm for the Page and allowed Page Breaks. Then I set each question in its own Flowing SubForm, but this time I did not allow Page Breaks.

Because the flowing content places each object right on top of each other, I set the caption to 5pts Above in the paragraph settings. This separated the questions evenly. Good luck.

Niall

Former Community Member
I'm new to designer and I'm trying to figure out subforms. Would you mind e-mailing me the sample form as well? mcashwell@bayada.com

Is there a tutorial out there to go over subforms?

Former Community Member
This is exactly what I was looking for in my question. Would you be willing to email that off to me too (jtfalchi@syr.edu)? Maybe post a link to it?

Thanks

Former Community Member
I emailed the PDF form to both Michelle and Jeff. It's a great form and a good point to start from, thanks to Niall's talents.

Not certain how to post this form onto this forum, nor to the Adobe LiveCycle Designer Samples webpage. If someone can help do this, send me an email (ssuede@ladhs.org) and I'll forward it to you. Thanks.

Former Community Member
I'm also new to form design and am having problems figuring out the settings for the text field. I don't want a reviewer to have to scroll through the text field, but be able to see at a glance all of the text. If the form that was provided to Jeff and Michelle would help me with this problem, would you mind sending it to me as well? (jeannie.davis@utsouthwestern.edu) Thank you.

Former Community Member
I'm having the same problem as well, can you email me a sample? cristina_ene@yahoo.com

Former Community Member
Please e-mail sample to jelmen@gopfs.com

Thanks

Former Community Member
I am also new to designer and need the know how and samples to have text feilds expand based on the entry with each subsequent feild moving appropriately. If you can please also send me the sample I would appreciate it. Thanks

Level 10
Hi Neil, send a mail to info@odonovanpartners.com and I will forward you the files.

Regards,

Niall

Former Community Member
When I add a subform I don't have the ability to select place 'following previos'. Am I missing something, what is required in order to have this option with new subforms?

Thanks...Neil

Former Community Member
Hi there, I still don't see the sample I need. Perhaps you can provide further assistance. I have 4 fields in a row that are all set to auto expand. I need all of them to expand to the same size if one of them actually expands, thus keeping alignment correct for the row.

Can anyone provide the code for this please.....thanks....Neil

Former Community Member
Moving on from this problem, when a text field has expanded, does anyone know how to retrieve its height? It appears the h property contains "0" all the time, the maxH property also contains "0".

I want to retrieve the height of the text box when a user leaves the field so I can set the height of a rectangle to the same size.

Any help appreciated.

Former Community Member
philip_rimmington@adobeforums.com wrote:

> Moving on from this problem, when a text field has expanded, does anyone know how to retrieve its height? It appears the h property contains "0" all the time, the maxH property also contains "0".

>

> I want to retrieve the height of the text box when a user leaves the field so I can set the height of a rectangle to the same size.

>

> Any help appreciated.

What does your form layout look like? There may be a better way to do

what you want to do.

Former Community Member
Hi Niall;

Could you please send me a copy of the file for the topic Form With Multiple Question Fields, Each Expandable?

Thanks,

Phyllis

pnimerof@mail.nih.gov

Former Community Member
I am having the same problem..could somebody please email me the form also...pat.cotton@dol.state.ga.us

thanks