Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session

Email Submit Button

Former Community Member
I am very new to Livecycle Designer (v 8.0) so go easy on me. My objective is to provide a PDF form to my customers they fill it out, click a button and it gets emailed back to me.

I have successfully created the form and all works well on my test system except that when the submit button is clicked; the local mail client is opened prompting the user to click the send button to mail the form via their mail client.

This seems to be redundant (the button on the form is a mail to button and then they have to click the send button from their mail client) and it occurred to me that quite a few folks out there do not have a mail client installed on their systems and the mailto: function will fail (they use web based email clients).

My question is this: How do I setup the form so that the customer clicks a button and the form simply gets sent to my mailbox, avoiding any local mail clients?

Thanks in advance
4 Replies

Former Community Member
The bottom line is ....you cannot. If that was possible I could build a denial of service attack into every form that you create. By forcing the user to hit the send button you also stop true applications like the one you are trying to build.

Former Community Member
Thanks for the reply. So, is there a way to deal with customers who don't have an email client installed on their system? (I have to assume that my customers do not have Acrobat Pro.)

Thanks again

Level 7
Also, it's not redundant, it's a huge security loophole if the user

doesn't see that they are sending an email. It would allow e-mail

addresses to be silently harvested.

You are absolutely right about the limitations of e-mail clients and

the millions who don't use them. For this reason, I see "email submit"

as a test tool, for use in the development phase. For any serious use

a form will submit to a web server, just like a web page does.

Aandi Inston

Level 9
The implementation within Reader gives your users several options for email:

1. Use mail client such as Outlook.

2. Use online mail client such as Yahoo or GMail.

3. Save the data file, and send it later how ever you want to.

Howard

http://www.avoka.com