Expand my Community achievements bar.

Email rights without save data rights

Former Community Member
Hello,

I have to enable usage rights to permit users to email a form back to me but I don't want them to be able to save their data once they fill out the form. How can I do this?

Thank you.
2 Replies

Level 6
Don't use the e-mail submit button. Use a regular button and set its control type to "submit". On the submit tab, set the URL using the mailto protocol like mailto:foo@bar.com. In submit as, select XML. This will allow users with the free Reader to submit their form data. You will receive an XML data file that you can import into the form using Acrobat.

You say that you don't want the users to save their data. I don't think there's any way that you can prevent that. Also, if they have Acrobat, they will be able to save their completed form.

Former Community Member
I was thinking that if they could save it that when others log on to see the form from their own computers that they would be able to see the other user's data too but I realize now that that's not how it works.

I have my submit button set to send a PDF. I haven't figured out the XML thing yet but that's next on my list. I imported some data into Excel using XML and that ended up looking like much more than I was willing to try and learn at the time. This stuff is very hard when you have no background in it and no one around to sit down with you and explain it. But you say you can import directly into a PDf form which sounds good so I will look at that.

Thanks for posting.