Expand my Community achievements bar.

Designer 7.1 performance

Former Community Member
I just upgraded to 7.1 and have noticed a significant degrade in performance. The PDF Preview and XML Source panes take forever to render and even something simple like moving a text field around the form can take seconds to respond. The CPU is pegged at 100% during these operations to the point where even my other apps will stop responding until Designer catches up.

I have a pretty beefy system with 2GB of RAM. With 7.0 the PDF Review pane took awhile the first time I used it but was fine after that. WIth 7.1, it's slow every time.

Anyone else experience this ?
5 Replies

Former Community Member
I have a similar situation, although it doesn't happen with every form. Take a look at the Warnings tab in the Report window. The forms where the PDF Preview stalls for me (and I have to kill the process and restart) show the following Warning:

Invalid append operation: field cannot have a child element of caption.

The element [caption] has violated its allowable number of occurrences.

I looked on the Adobe Support pages for this message but could not find anything. The only relevant Designer 7.1 Support message I could find was an advisory to not have Designer 7.0 and 7.1 on the same system (which I do have, but I don't see how this is the cause of this problem).

Anyone from Adobe Support care to tell me what this warning message is telling me? Warning messages are only helpful if they make sense to those who read and need to react to them .

Former Community Member
I forgot to mention that I do get the same warning messages when I load the form in Designer 7.0, but the PDF Preview works without incident.

Former Community Member
The message is telling you that somewhere in your XML you have a field node that contains a caption node, but according to the schema is not supposed to be able to have a caption. I can't say for sure how that occured in your form, but off the top of my head, maybe it happened when using the drop down that allows you to change field types on the fly (and XML that should have been removed got left behind).

Chris

Adobe Enterprise Developer Support

Former Community Member
Chris - I think you're bang on. I did change a number of field types using the drop down in ordert to fix another problem. Strangely enough, I recall thinking at the time that changing a field type that easily will surely lead to other problems...

Now, do you think this is what is causing Designer 7.1 to hang on the PDF Preview action (while 7.0 does not)? If not, why else might it be stalling?

Former Community Member
Yeah, I usually try to avoid that drop down, I just don't trust it to clean up properly. Although to it's credit it does seem to work more often then not.

In any case, I could see how invalid XML could cause a problem, yes, but I don't see why it would be in one version of designer and not the other. I could understand if there were multiple copies of Acrobat.

Does it work if you explicitly start Acrobat before click PDF preview?

I'd probably try uninstalling everything (Acorbat, Designer 7.0 & 7.1) and then reinstalling Acrobat and 7.1. See if it works. If so you could reinstall 7.0 again if you want.

Chris

Adobe Enterprise Developer Support