Expand my Community achievements bar.

Guidelines for the Responsible Use of Generative AI in the Experience Cloud Community.

Another HTTP Submit Question

Former Community Member
Does any body know how to capture and handle an http response returned after a SUBMIT button transmits XML data? I'm trying to work out a method to quickly deploy short-lived forms that send their data to a lightweight HTTP listener running on the network. Everything was going swimmingly except....

If I use a SUBMIT button, I receive beautiful XML data but the return value from my listener ("Data Received", or "No Data Received", or "Failed to Write Data: notify Administrator", etc.) replaces the form in Acrobat Pro 8 and I can find no way of catching the response, and handling it in a popup window, clearing the form when necessary, etc.

On the other hand, if I use a regular button and the POST() function of FormCalc in the click event, I can easily handle the return value, clear the form when necessary, etc. but I haven't found a way to successfully iterate through the fields, read all the names and values(without knowing them in advance) and send the correct data. using XFA.Layout.pageContent I can iterate through the fields, but all I seem to be able to access is the names, and I haven't a clue how I deal with radio buttons.

Finally, I might be able to make it work with javascript, but there seems to be no equivalent to the POST() function in JavaScript.

If this makes sense, are there any suggestions?
1 Reply

Level 6
Very interesting! I did not know about POST(). Hmmmm. You have to wonder why this would be part of the product and yet executing a web service requires usage rights.

At first I figured you could call a JavaScript function in a script object from your FormCalc button, but it turns out that you can't do that. So, here's a work-around that will allow you to process the results using JavaScript.

Create a hidden field. In the click event of your FormCalc button, put

MyHiddenField.rawValue = Post("http://whatever","whatever");

Write a javascript on the calculate event of the hidden field to handle the result.

Jared