Expand my Community achievements bar.

Guidelines for the Responsible Use of Generative AI in the Experience Cloud Community.

7.1 Update process does not remove 7.0 or alert user to presence

Former Community Member
Have posted info in main forum.
8 Replies

Level 2
Probably a good job - since my 7.1 does not work - but my old 7.0 is still working OK!

I did realise this bi-install was happening - since the install shield specifically says - "installing to Designer 7.1 directory".

DW

Former Community Member
"since my 7.1 does not work " - ? what do you mean by 'not work'

I've found 7.1 to be much more stable than 7.0

"I did realise this bi-install was happening - since the install shield specifically says - "installing to Designer 7.1 directory". " - yes, but unfortunately this happens after the event (of OK'ing install). It needs to ask you before you install whether you want to unload 7.0

Former Community Member
Just out of curiosity, why do you think 7.1 should force you to uninstall 7.0? Personally I would go nuts if I couldn't have both on my machine at the same time as I switch between the two very often. I'm pretty sure many clients wanted to be able to have different versions going at the same time as well.

Chris

Adobe Enteprise Developer Support

Former Community Member
"I'm pretty sure many clients wanted to be able to have different versions going at the same time as well. " - now I'm confused... surely if 7.1 offers everything that 7.0 has, but adds bugfixes and new features there is no logical reason to keep it around (unless e.g. you are an Adobe trainer).

Am I missing something? Have to say that I use a lot of other software, and not removing e.g. a .0 when you install e.g. a .1 is pretty rare behavior.

If there turns out to be some advantage in keeping both, I'd be interested to hear about it.

Former Community Member
I guess I shouldn't have put it that way since I'm not actually "pretty sure" that other clients actually "wanted" it that way. I know some clients do have both installed. The nice thing about keeping 7.0 installed as well as 7.1 is that when using 7.0 you can be sure it doesn't let you do anything that won't work in Forms > 7.0 and Acrobat < 7.0.5. I know it would drive me nuts if it did uninstall 7.0 as I switch between the two often.

Anyways, moral of the story is I shouldn't open my big mouth about things I don't know for sure :P

Chris

Adobe Enterprise Developer Support

Former Community Member
Re: "it doesn't let you do anything that won't work in Forms > 7.0 and Acrobat < 7.0.5"

It would be helpful if Adobe published a document that listed (e.g. in tabular form) the functionality that works/exists in various Designer + Acrobat combinations.

For me, it starting to get very muddy trying to determine what the lowest common demoninator of Designer functionality that I can use in a form and what version of Acrobat I must advertise as a minimum for a user to have that functionality.

Former Community Member
Unfortunately I don't have a document to offer you, but basically any new functionality in 7.1 requires Acrobat 7.0.5+. Any new functionality in Designer 7.0 requires Acrobat 7.0+. And all functionality in Designer 6 requires Acrobat 6.0.2+.

Chris

Adobe Enterprise Developer Support

Former Community Member
"Anyways, moral of the story is I shouldn't open my big mouth about things I don't know for sure

Chris

Adobe Enterprise Developer Support" - LOL - confirms my long-held opinion that Adobe staffers are generally honest and friendly people. Probably too honest ;o)

"It would be helpful if Adobe published a document that listed (e.g. in tabular form) the functionality that works/exists in various Designer + Acrobat combinations. " - definitely, but this is where Adobe always fall down. It is as if they just don't have the layer of people who should be around to do this kind of stuff.

Which reminds me - what exactly are QA people there for? Most QA people I know can't figure out how to use the elevator.

They need to employ at least one person per product whose sole job is just to see things from a customer's viewpoint (not form Adobe's!!!) - we would soon see improved documentation (especially on the Javascript side!) and more logical install routines.