Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Segmentation Service Processing Duration and Time point

Level 2

I want to build several segmentation services and I have some questions about processing duration and time point.

1. For batch segment, according to the document, the batch segment will be activated every 24 hours. Is that possible to activate the segment to destination in a rapid frequency, such as every per 3 hours? Also, how to determine the timepoint that downstream will receive the segment?
  2. Is there any other ways to activate the segment faster?
  3. How long does it for one row of event data from being ingested by webSDK/API to being activated to downstream in streaming segment? 

If the actual destination is required for discussion, we can talk based on google Ads.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

Hi Danny,

This approach, what you have specified will not work as, even though evaluation of Segment C is Streaming, just because the evaluation type for Segment B is Batch, the newly qualified audiences will be seen in Segment C once the evaluation of Segment B will complete.

This behavior is documented in the experienceleague as well. Below is the snippet of the document:

bitunsen2022_0-1675317353682.png

The URL is: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-platform/segmentation/api/streaming-segmentation....

At least, in the sandboxes I have access to, I could see it is behaving as documented - which means, new audiences are getting added in Segment C once the evaluation of Segment B is complete, even though Segment C is a streaming segment.

Thanks,

Bitun

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Employee Advisor

@RexChen To accommodate a faster activation of Batch Segments, I recommend to our clients to try this:

1. Break up your Batch segments that need to activate faster into three pieces
    1. SegmentB (aka Batch) has all your logic that must be evaluated in Batch
    2. SegmentS (aka Streaming) has all your logic that can be evaluated in Streaming
    3. SegmentC (aka Combines these two) brings these two together and can be evaluated in Streaming
  2. Use SegmentC for Activation in Destinations (google Ads)

This structure allows you to listen and react at Streaming speed to data streaming in as a faster speed, while reacting slower for data flowing in Batch speed.  Try it out.

Correct answer by
Level 2

Hi Danny,

This approach, what you have specified will not work as, even though evaluation of Segment C is Streaming, just because the evaluation type for Segment B is Batch, the newly qualified audiences will be seen in Segment C once the evaluation of Segment B will complete.

This behavior is documented in the experienceleague as well. Below is the snippet of the document:

bitunsen2022_0-1675317353682.png

The URL is: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-platform/segmentation/api/streaming-segmentation....

At least, in the sandboxes I have access to, I could see it is behaving as documented - which means, new audiences are getting added in Segment C once the evaluation of Segment B is complete, even though Segment C is a streaming segment.

Thanks,

Bitun

Employee Advisor

You are right in that you cannot speed up Segment B (batch).  However, you can decouple Segment S from it.  This allows you to react as fast as possible to the incoming events.

This has a great benefit in that Segment C can update as Segment S is entered in a streaming fashion but it will use the most up to date information it has about Segment B at that point in time.

Think of it like a Segment of:

1. People who live in California and spent more than $100 over the last week
  2. People who purchased today

If both requirements are in one segment, this is a batch segment.  If both are split, I can react to the purchase today as it streams in, but it will be based on the last batch job run for segment qualification on the 1st segment.

Community Advisor

@RexChen 

Segment can be evaluated on demand using segment job API . This way batch segment can be evaluated with in an hour.

Check out https://developer.adobe.com/experience-platform-apis/references/segmentation/#tag/Segment-jobs/opera...

Here you need to figure out a way to call the segment job API as per the frequency needed automatically (use Python scripts to trigger segment job API)

Level 2

@Anuhya-Y 

For this method, we may use a cron schedule to get rid of a local trigger. 

Check thisSchedules API Endpoint | Adobe Experience Platform

Regards