Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Retrieve list of Product where the XDM class has primary identity (product ID) with namespace of type Non People Identifier

Community Advisor

Hi All,

Currently we have a product catalog which contains (product SKU, data related to products, store Id, store name etc) with product Id with namespace of type Non People Identifier.

Assuming that we have a use case where 3rd Party system needs to retrieve by product ID the product details. How can we retrieve product information by product id?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi @Luca_Lattarini 

I don’t know the Customer Care solution of course, but they usually deal with customers. 
as previously said, have you explore the integration of the customer Care solution with the solution that owns the product, who is the master of product information? 
in which Customer Care scenario will an agent view a product without customer? Product launch type of use cases? 
what system is customer care solution based?

in your approach I fear you will be using the product in a way it isn’t designed for and on the long run it isn’t a good approach for a maintainability point of view.  And since you will be at the edge of product feasibility you expose yourself to issues down the line if Adobe changes what query service does. 

ee’re progressing in the use case but not quite yet there and again exploring to query the PIM system from customer care is certainly the most efficient in the long term since PIM is the master and owner of product information. 

hope the above makes sense

thanks

denis. 

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Employee Advisor

Hi @Luca_Lattarini 

AEP XDM is profile centric as such the customer is in the center of the actions that applications will take on their respective journeys... In the context of AEP, you would always have a profile that you want to interact with. 

Your scenario is product centric in its description, in what circumstances / use cases would you require AEP to provide a Product details to an external system without any profile in mind?

Any clarifications on the use case would help shape the solution?

Thanks

Denis

Community Advisor

Hello @Denis_Bozonnet , 

When the 3rd party system/operation team will retrieve product details, they will only use product ID. For your information, the product ID is linked to the main Profile XDM schema.  

In the meantime, I am checking if AEP Query Service can help us by using a client or Query Service API.Any consideration on this possible approach?

Thanks

Community Advisor

@Luca_Lattarini any reason why should 3rd party retrieve data from AEP? How is 3rd party accessing AEP?

Do you have a use case where 3rd party ingests data and that will require this look-up?

Employee Advisor

Hi @Luca_Lattarini 

why would the 3rd party go to AEP to retrieve product information ? What prevents them to query the PIM system instead?

if the 3rd party system at the time of their flow only knows a product ID without any profile I’d whatsoever, they should go to the PIM system which owns the product information? Or in another words: what would AEP have as product information that the PIM system would not have?

via query service you can for sure query but the outcome would have to be in a dataset that would still be linked to a Profile. 

What we’re trying to understand is the whole use case from the 3rd party point of view: what do they do once they will get the product information ? Where do they acquire the product id used in the flow?

AEP isn’t a PIM system, it uses PIM information and it would be most likely bulk load in AEP via the PIM solution at the first place. 

any hints on the global use case will help us answer the topic,

thanks

denis. 

Community Advisor

@ChetanyaJain mostly for customer care functionalities. We are still evaluating how 3rd party (customer care) will retrieve product information. 

I am exploring two main ways : 1) SQL client can be accessed from Customer Care connected into AEP Query Service 2)  Data Access API in the case they can implement API call at 3rd Party system side 

Thannks

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi @Luca_Lattarini 

I don’t know the Customer Care solution of course, but they usually deal with customers. 
as previously said, have you explore the integration of the customer Care solution with the solution that owns the product, who is the master of product information? 
in which Customer Care scenario will an agent view a product without customer? Product launch type of use cases? 
what system is customer care solution based?

in your approach I fear you will be using the product in a way it isn’t designed for and on the long run it isn’t a good approach for a maintainability point of view.  And since you will be at the edge of product feasibility you expose yourself to issues down the line if Adobe changes what query service does. 

ee’re progressing in the use case but not quite yet there and again exploring to query the PIM system from customer care is certainly the most efficient in the long term since PIM is the master and owner of product information. 

hope the above makes sense

thanks

denis. 

Community Advisor

@Luca_Lattarini I completely agree with @Denis_Bozonnet. AEP is not meant for this that's the main reason for me to ask why 3rd party should access data.

Create a microservices layer and let that manage these REST APIs and connect with the right system.

Remember, get only the data that is required in AEP and leave the rest. Also, data in the data lake will not be there for more than 7 days/180 days depending on if you have AI module or not. So query services will not return the data once it's flushed out.

chetanyajain_0-1663203070990.png

https://helpx.adobe.com/legal/product-descriptions/adobe-experience-platform0.html 

Level 2

I feel the customer care need product association with the customer. 

When customer calls the customer care service - Care agent based on customer ID need to pull up associated product with the customer. 

SQL query can be packaged as a service and calls can be made to AEP profile access may be to understand all the different product associated with the customer

@Luca_Lattarini 

@ChetanyaJain 

@Denis_Bozonnet