Inflated page name eVar migrating from DTM to Launch

Avatar

Avatar

philipk92120636

Avatar

philipk92120636

philipk92120636

04-09-2020

Hi everyone!

We recently migrated from DTM to Launch.

We save our page name to eVar1. What we've noticed since migrating is that on pages where there are events firing e.g. direct call rules or clicks, the number of unique visitors to eVar1 is a great deal higher than the unique visitors to the page name dimension.

philipk92120636_0-1599211789567.png

There haven't been any changes to the configuration of the events other than having to add in the clear variables action in the Launch rules so that the events string is reset after an event is fired.

I can't work out what is going on here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

 

Analytics dtm evar launch

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Avatar

Avatar

evolytics_brian

Avatar

evolytics_brian

evolytics_brian

16-09-2020

Hi, @philipk92120636 -

Have you been able to work this out? If not...

When looking at the network calls in real time (network tab, Adobe debugger...), do you see the visitor ID value changing between the page call and the event call(s), or does it stay the same? Is there any custom logic used to generate the event call(s), or do they use Launch's standard "send beacon" action?

When I review the calls on the page the visitor ID maintains the same value from the original page view hit across the link tracking calls on the page. I'm using the standard 'Send Beacon' action. There's one page load rule that sets all the variables and a direct call rule that fires on completion of different sections of the form. Both set variables, send beacon, and then clear variables. The direct call is an s.tl() call.
Is there any possibility you were undercounting before the migration?
I hope not 🙂 It seems a bit of a coincidence that as soon as we switch to Launch the figures go out of whack.

I completely agree, but had to ask. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen a previously unknown issue surface because a change/migration unexpectedly fixed it. I'm also wondering if the eVar is populated more frequently than before (placement of clearVars can make a difference) than before, or if this could be a reporting issue instead of a tracking issue. (Probably not, but, again, I like to ask the simple questions.)

 

Edited to complete my comment... This commenting interface leaves a lot to be desired.

All good questions 🙂 I'm concerned that the clearVars action is populating the eVar more frequently than before. In DTM we used clearVars each time we loaded the Analytics tool but have had to extend this to direct calls and events to prevent event stacking. Customer Care can't see an issue so I'm going to ask the Consulting team to take a look.
Good luck. If you're still stuck after consulting takes a look, feel free to DM me a URL where the problem is and I'll poke around to see if anything stands out.

Answers (0)