Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Duplicate server calls from our Android App

Level 2

We just released a new version of our Android app and are seeing about 30% of our devices generating a new unique visitor and visit for every tracking call. This is significantly inflating our visit count and making our conversion rates incorrect.

I found a device that was tracking this way and ran it through a Charles proxy. Each call is being duplicated. The first one appears to be redirecting and inserting two variables into the url: g=none&pccr=true. I am pretty sure that the insertion of the pccr value is causing the increment to visits and visitors, but I can't figure out why it is redirecting and being added in.

Has anyone else seen this type of tracking?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

Update...

Found this article to explain the duplicate calls and redirect:

http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalmarketing/analytics/under-the-hood-with-visits-and-visitors/

Also discovered that the redirects were occurring on devices that weren't maintaing the s_vi cookie. 30% devices seems like a lot.

Solution is to post a custom visitor id using the vid variable with each tracking call. It should actually give us better visitor tracking and eliminates the redirect and incremental visitor count problem we were seeing.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Level 2

Update...

Found this article to explain the duplicate calls and redirect:

http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalmarketing/analytics/under-the-hood-with-visits-and-visitors/

Also discovered that the redirects were occurring on devices that weren't maintaing the s_vi cookie. 30% devices seems like a lot.

Solution is to post a custom visitor id using the vid variable with each tracking call. It should actually give us better visitor tracking and eliminates the redirect and incremental visitor count problem we were seeing.