Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Custom code to track link name in adobe launch.

Level 6

I know how to track link click using click event  using css selector in adobe launch. But I am trying to get a custom code that can be used in adobe launch to listen for link click and then get link name from that link and store it in evar and prop and custom link name. Can somebody throw a code just link that? Actually I am challenging myself to make use of custom js code.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Personally, I would always try to avoid Custom Code. While you can just use

return event.element.innerText;

as Custom Code, doing it within a Data Element in the UI is much clearer and more accessible to many users. It's a personal preference, but going the UI-route has always payed off for me.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Community Advisor

With the click event, information about the clicked element gets attached to the Event Object automatically. From there, it is very easy to pick up using a Constant Data Element. The innerText attribute might be the right one for your use case, which can be accessed as "%event.element.innerText%":

FrederikWerner_0-1676896388306.png

It's also featured in this tutorial I've done a while back, you can find the video here: https://youtu.be/VRi3WdwkA3g?t=513

Level 6

Wow man send me more such videos so that I can get comfortable using custom codes.

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Personally, I would always try to avoid Custom Code. While you can just use

return event.element.innerText;

as Custom Code, doing it within a Data Element in the UI is much clearer and more accessible to many users. It's a personal preference, but going the UI-route has always payed off for me.

Level 6

But what If I have buttons to be tracked instead of links.

Community Advisor

The innerText attribute should still work, but a lot can be done in HTML that is not exactly compliant with standards. Check out pages like https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/HTMLElement/innerText to get an idea of which attributes to use. If the display text is kept completely outside of the element, you might need to get a bit creative.

Level 6

This worked like a charm. So %event.element.innerText% is this tag a standard one which can be used any where? Is this something like what we write for direct call rule?

Community Advisor

It is very universal and should work in many places! You can find some more inspiration on the mentioned links.

Level 1

Could you please explain how to write a single JavaScript code using document.getElementsByClassName that captures the name of the button whenever a user clicks it anywhere on the website and store it in evar and prop and custom link name?