Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Create a data element containing scroll height of a popup

Level 5

Hi all!

I want to create a data element that saves the distance a customer scrolls within a popup. I can return the value I'm after in the browser console using the following:

// Full height of div including scroll
var totalHeight = $("#myDialogContent")[0].scrollHeight;

// Initial height of div that needs to be subtracted
var initialHeight = $("#myDialogContent")[0].clientHeight;

// Actual element height value
var height = totalHeight - initialHeight;

// Scroll depth
var scroll = $("#myDialogContent").scrollTop();

var scrollPercentage = (scroll/height) * 100;

var rounded = Math.round(scrollPercentage);

return rounded;

This is the code I've used in the data element. However, when I try to return the value of the data element in the browser I get undefined each time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 5

This worked when I added it into a rule. I don't know why it didn't return through the console but I created a dummy data element change rule referencing the data element created using the above code and it worked as required.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Level 4

Might need some more context here. What kind of popup is it? Is it a whole new window popup? If so, you will need to make sure Launch is implemented on it as well.

Level 5
It's not a new window (or content in an iframe from a third-party source). It's a modal that simply alternates between display:none and display:block on click of an open or close button. We have Launch coverage on the popup.

Correct answer by
Level 5

This worked when I added it into a rule. I don't know why it didn't return through the console but I created a dummy data element change rule referencing the data element created using the above code and it worked as required.