Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Any risks associated with upgrading Google Global Site Tag extension?

Level 3

We're looking to upgrade Acronym's Google Global Site Tag extension as the version we're using (1.0.1) does not support GA4.

Are there any risks associated with upgrading from 1.0.1 to the latest version of 1.1.5?

Judging by the release notes (https://docs.acronym.com/analytics/adobe-launch/gtag/release-notes) there doesn't seem to be much risk, but we're hesitant with upgrading extensions since there doesn't seem to be a way to revert in case of an issue.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

There's always a risk when updating any extension, including the vital Core extension. And yes, it sucks that AEP Tags doesn't allow you to rollback to a previous extension version if an error is found.

You could choose to ignore the updated extension. But if you ignore the extension versions repeatedly, you run the risk of losing out on new features or even bug fixes.

Personally, I update extensions regularly. Then, I also test my rules to ensure that nothing has been broken unexpectedly.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

There's always a risk when updating any extension, including the vital Core extension. And yes, it sucks that AEP Tags doesn't allow you to rollback to a previous extension version if an error is found.

You could choose to ignore the updated extension. But if you ignore the extension versions repeatedly, you run the risk of losing out on new features or even bug fixes.

Personally, I update extensions regularly. Then, I also test my rules to ensure that nothing has been broken unexpectedly.

Level 3

I'm horrible at coming back to my posts and showing gratitude  I appreciate your reply. We reached out to the extension developers and didn't come across any issues with updating their extension. Their release notes were a good indicator of if a certain version required attention.

Thanks again.