Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session
SOLVED

Which Garbage Collector should be used in AEM 6.2

Level 2

There are 4 ypes of garbage collector in java 1.8.

1. Serial

2. Parallel

3. CMS

4. G1

Default is parallel GC. Any recommendation which GC type should we use in AEM.

Also are there any recommendation regarding JVM paramaters that we should be using in AEM?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 9

Hi Sandeep,

You need tune based on you application, Most commonly used for small/medium apps at CQ-OPS - JVM init Arguments for a Reliable CQ Instance

Thanks,

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 9

Hi Sandeep,

You need tune based on you application, Most commonly used for small/medium apps at CQ-OPS - JVM init Arguments for a Reliable CQ Instance

Thanks,

Level 1

Many of these recommendations - like many JVM argument recommendations - are old.  Even the quite old recommendation of setting the minimum and maximum heap size is not necessarily a performance enhancer from what I've read on the intertubes. Though one does have to set the max heap size if one wants it to be able to get bigger than the built in default.

Ideally one sets these by testing and tuning, but obviously many people/sites don't have the time to do much in the way of this and the JVM has quite a few possible arguments and often little or no explanation of their function. At this point, with java 8 I'm setting fewer arguments and letting it determine what to do as much as possible which has worked surprisingly well. The G1C1 GC seems to work well on the sites I've seen with it.