Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

How to configure search and promote for intranet site which requires login ?

Level 8

We need to configure search and promote that it crawls the intranet pages also which requires login.

We have currently implemented SAML for the intranet site and using S&P for unauthenticated users.

We want S&P to work for authenticated intranet users also and crawl intranet pages too..

Can you please suggest any approach ?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Regarding Intranet, 

1. S&P is a SaaS only solution

2. The challenge with crawling intranet sites is the crawler cannot access them as they typically are not exposed to the internet.

3. Usually what has to happen is either by IP or some domain name S&P can find the right external server.  By IP the S&P crawlers are whitelested. That would mean the intranet servers are not on internal servers but in the DMZ but have access locked down. They can also feed the data to S&P, not actually crawl the content. The feed is usually an XML export of the content for indexing.

Regarding Login, 

There are projects where S&P uses user credentials for crawling.

I hope it helps, I am not an S&P expert but got this info from internal experts.

thanks

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Level 9

Hi Hemant,

AFAIK this needs custom implementation & not available out of the box. Need to engage with profession service.

Thanks,

Correct answer by
Level 10

Regarding Intranet, 

1. S&P is a SaaS only solution

2. The challenge with crawling intranet sites is the crawler cannot access them as they typically are not exposed to the internet.

3. Usually what has to happen is either by IP or some domain name S&P can find the right external server.  By IP the S&P crawlers are whitelested. That would mean the intranet servers are not on internal servers but in the DMZ but have access locked down. They can also feed the data to S&P, not actually crawl the content. The feed is usually an XML export of the content for indexing.

Regarding Login, 

There are projects where S&P uses user credentials for crawling.

I hope it helps, I am not an S&P expert but got this info from internal experts.

thanks