Expand my Community achievements bar.

Upgrade from 6.2 to 6.4 not completing

Level 1

Hi,

I'm running an upgrade from 6.2 to 6.4 on a Windows server that uses MongoMk so I skipped the content repository migration step. But after replacing the jar and running the unpack command, I'm stuck on the last step, trying to start the instance from the jar using the following command from the prompt:

java -Xmx20G -XX:MaxPermSize=4G -Djava.awt.headless=true -Dsling.run.modes=author,crx3,crx3mongo,dynamicmedia,nosamplecontent -jar aem-author-4502.jar start -c crx-quickstart -i launchpad -p 4502 -Dsling.properties=conf/sling.properties

but all I'm getting is different versions of the same error:

Error: Could not find or load main class .awt.headless=true or .run.modes=author

and I can't seem to go beyond that point. If I run the jar without parameters or from the file it just gets stuck loading and never finishes.

Thanks

7 Replies

Employee

After you have unpacked AEM 6.4 jar file, try to start an upgrade by executing something like:

java -Xmx4G -Xms4G -jar aem64-author-p4502.jar -r crx3,crx3mongo

When AEM is up and running, you can stop it and use your regular AEM startup routine.

Employee Advisor

Hi,

I would think that the command line parsing is causing this.  Do you have that command inside a .bat file or do you use it directly from the windows command line (cmd.exe)?

Jörg

Level 1

Tried that and it sorta started the instance but found out that something on the permissions is preventing the instance from starting completely, had to run it on a different port to complete the startup process.

Level 1

Tried both ways, command line and bat file, same result in both cases.

Employee Advisor

that sounds strange ... is "java" the java binary or some wrapper/shellscript around it? Because

Error: Could not find or load main class .awt.headless=true or .run.modes=author

indicates, that it is considering this "awt.headless" as the main class parameter. Can you reorganize your command line and move the -jar" part in front of all other parameters, especially the system properties?

Jörg

Employee Advisor

This is because of the documentation error. The document says to use
java -jar aem-quickstart.jar start -c crx-quickstart -i launchpad -Dsling.properties=conf/sling.properties -Dsling.run.modes=publish,crx3,crx3tar
But start command is not available for aem-quickstart.jar which is a sibling of crx-quickstart folder.

start is available only for /crx-quickstart/app/aem-quickstart*.jar

I have used the below command

java -jar aem-quickstart.jar -r author,nosamplecontent,websquad3,crx3,crx3tar,crx3tar-nofds -p4502

crx3tar-nofds is used since I have S3 datastore

Employee Advisor

Glad that you could solve it. Can you raise a Daycare ticket and report this issue about the problem in the documentation?

Thanks for reporting back,

Jörg