Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Unlocking a page through impersonation fails!

Level 4

Hi,

We are trying a scenario where unlocking a page in AEM 6.3 is failing. PFB the steps followed in a vanilla AEM instance.

1. Lock a page using a user say author1.
  2. Another user, say author2 impersonates as author1 and tries to unlock the locked page.
  3. Error appears - Unable to unlock page. Error.log - Caused by: javax.jcr.lock.LockException: Not an owner of the lock /content/we-retail/us/en/user/smartlist/jcr:content
  4. Ideally this scenario was working in AEM 5.6 but not working in AEM 6.3

errorSnip.JPG

Please let me know if this is the intended behavior in AEM 6.3 and what will be an alternate solution for the same.

7 Replies

Level 4

From my experience in my project, either admin OR user with admin rights will be able to unlock the page. A mere impersonation of the person who locked the page does not give you all the access to unlock the page.

Also, did you get a chance looking into some of the options that were discussed in this thread. Unlocking Pages - Alternative to "admin" Account?

Level 4

Ideally impersonating as a locked user and unlocking the page was working until before AEM 6.3 but apparently not working now in AEM 6.3. Not sure if there is any change or is it a bug in AEM 6.3. There are other options as well as you had mentioned but the mentioned behavior after impersonating is the one which the customer needed and was working until AEM 6.2.

Level 4

Is there any hotfix available for the same from Adobe? Error log -

Unable to unlock page.

com.day.cq.wcm.api.WCMException: Unable to unlock page.

Caused by: javax.jcr.lock.LockException: Not an owner of the lock

Employee Advisor

For AEM 6.3, Impersonating and unlocking a page is not allowed and can be treated as a product limitation.

Level 1

If it is indeed a product limitation, the canUnlock() method on the Page class should return false when checked with an impersonated user; which it doesn't.

So it seems like there's either a bug in the unlock functionality itself, or in the canUnlock() method.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Level 3

I feel it's good to have this doc updated with all AEM versions that this issue applies to - How to unlock a locked page

Applies to is still referring to AEM 5.2.x.

kautuksahni

Level 3

Latest update we received from Adobe on this through day care - 

We have confirmed from the engg team and same has been written in the docs And an evaluation for improvement on this                feature is been checked on this JIRA (CQ-4236738).

Locking a page can be performed when impersonating a user. However a page locked in this way can only then be unlocked as the user who was impersonated or a user with administrator privileges.

Pages cannot be unlocked by impersonating the user who locked the page.

Also same has been written under[1].

https://helpx.adobe.com/experience-manager/6-3/sites/authoring/using/editing-content.html

Thanks.