Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

startTarOptimization() throws error

Level 4

http://host:port/system/console/jmx/com.adobe.granite%3Atype%3DRepository

From the JMX console whenever I try to run startTarOptimization() or runDataStoreGarbageCollection(java.lang.Boolean delete) , it is throwing the below exception.

Can somebody throw some light on this. We are on AEM6.0 SP2.

javax.jcr.UnsupportedRepositoryOperationException at com.day.crx.sling.server.impl.jmx.ManagedRepository.startTarOptimization(ManagedRepository.java:201) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:606) at sun.reflect.misc.Trampoline.invoke(MethodUtil.java:75) at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor100.invoke(Unknown Source) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:606) at sun.reflect.misc.MethodUtil.invoke(MethodUtil.java:279) at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.StandardMBeanIntrospector.invokeM2(StandardMBeanIntrospector.java:112) at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.StandardMBeanIntrospector.invokeM2(StandardMBeanIntrospector.java:46) at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.MBeanIntrospector.invokeM(MBeanIntrospector.java:237) at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.PerInterface.invoke(PerInterface.java:138) at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.MBeanSupport.invoke(MBeanSupport.java:252) at javax.management.StandardMBean.invoke(StandardMBean.java:405) at com.sun.jmx.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.invoke(DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.java:819) at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.JmxMBeanServer.invoke(JmxMBeanServer.java:801) at com.adobe.granite.jmx.internal.JMXConsolePlugin.invoke(JMXConsolePlugin.java:176) at com.adobe.granite.jmx.internal.JMXConsolePlugin.doPost(JMXConsolePlugin.java:134) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:641) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:722)
1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi,

the effect of online compaction averages over a few days(not as immediate as offline compaction), so you will not see an effect straight away.

For offline compaction, you should have at least twice the size of your repository, so for a 72GB repository, 50GB free space would not have been enough. Personally I would have preferred a bit more than double the size, but then I'm quite cautious :)

Regards,

Opkar

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Employee

If you are not using CRX2 with AEM6, then there is no need to run tarOptimization with AEM6, as Oak does not use tar files. The equivalent is TarMK Compaction

http://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/aem/6-0/deploy/upgrade/microkernels-in-aem-6-0.html#Maintaining%20the%...

https://helpx.adobe.com/experience-manager/kb/AEM_6_TarMK_Online_Compaction.html

Regards,

Opkar

Level 4

Thanks Opkar,

We are uploading some image assets package via package manager.However, the repository size is growing quite rapidly.

If the same package is installed again huge disk space is consumed.I cant see it is reducing after I follow the above ( compaction does not seem to be happening ).

Can you please suggest ?

We already have Hf  5916 and Hf 5918 installed and Oak 1.0.12

Level 6

Hi Sumit,

Please check the few points.

1.Are you using 1.0.12 ? can you please upgrade to one more higher version and test offline compaction (1.0.13).

2.Have you performed workflow and audit purge and test any diff in disk space? (if any issue related to junk workflow)

3.Clean up /etc/packages section.

Level 4

Thanks Gokul,Opkar,

I have upgraded Oak version to 1.0.16 and tried online compaction only.Did not help much.

Done workflow and audit purge too.

I thought of running offline compaction also. But I heard that we need at least equal empty space in our disk to run the same.

Currently I have 72 GB used and 50 GB empty space. Can I do offline compaction in this circumstance ?

Level 6

Hi Summit,

Now you have 50Gb free space  and your crx-quickstart folder size is 72 GB right?

You can perform offline compaction and just see you got free space.

Employee

Hi,

from what I have heard anecdotally is that online tar compaction needs to be run a few times before it starts reclaiming disk space. Please try a few more time to see if it makes a difference.

Regards,

Opkar

Level 4

Yes i saw it under the link you provided. I ran it quite a few times manually. It did not help yesterday.

When I checked today right now ( was getting ready for offline compaction)..surprise...surprise , the free space is increased to 77 GB from 50 GB.

Seems that the scheduled revision clean up run at night worked :)

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi,

the effect of online compaction averages over a few days(not as immediate as offline compaction), so you will not see an effect straight away.

For offline compaction, you should have at least twice the size of your repository, so for a 72GB repository, 50GB free space would not have been enough. Personally I would have preferred a bit more than double the size, but then I'm quite cautious :)

Regards,

Opkar

Level 4

Thanks Gokul for confirmation. Will try offline compaction then.