Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Setup two Dispatchers in series arrangement

Community Advisor

Hello Guys, Need your suggestions on a Apache/Dispatcher setup. (Please see the attached diagram)

image.png

Scenario
The customer has the standard AEM Publish and Apache web servers (shown as #1 in the diagram) already setup and there are multiple websites hosted here.
For one new site, there is a need to access the site through a new set of web servers (shown as #2 in the diagram) hosted on a 3rd party cloud.
If you look closely, this is a different-than-regular scenario with 2 web servers in the request path. Usually we have just one web layer load balancing AEM publish instances.
I have marked two request flows here - green and red.

Green arrow flow:
This is the one I achieved. Web browser >>> Apache (#2) >>> proxies all incoming requests to Apache (#1) >>> Dispatcher (#1) >>> AEM >>> cache >>> Apache >>> Back to client.
The draw back here is the files are cached on the inner layer Apache server (#1) and files travel over network to the client on every request. You will notice Dispatcher (#2) is skipped due to the redirects at Apache (#2).

Red arrow flow:
This is the one I think is better as the cache is in the outer layer (#2) and once cached, the next set of requests are quicker and efficient.
What stops from achieving this? The request once processed by Dispatcher (#2) is rejected by Dispatcher (#1) by Dispatcher's design.

I do not believe I am the first person to implement this. If you have any suggestions or even better if you have come across this scenario, please provide some pointers and I could try them out. Thank you.

Regards,

Preetpal

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

There you go... you can clearly see that in Dispatcher #2, Dispatcher is adding few headers to show the publishers that it is a legitimate request... such as below 

Adding request header: host
Adding request header: Via
Adding request header: X-Forwarded-For
Adding request header: Server-Agent

And it will result as something similar to

request.headers[Via] = "1.1 x.x.x.x (dispatcher)"

request.headers[X-Forwarded-For] = "122.225.226.181"

request.headers[Server-Agent] = "Communique-Dispatcher"

In Apache Server #1, PT flag only serves for not processing further redirects, not unsettling the request headers.

Please unset the above request headers in Apache Server #1  in virtual host entry

RequestHeader unset via
RequestHeader unset server-agent

Ex;-https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4428903/remove-basic-authentication-header-with-apache-mod-proxy

As of my knowledge those two headers should solve but check  out if you have to block/unset any other headers by enabling debug logging in Apache #1

View solution in original post

18 Replies

Administrator

@Jörg_Hoh  Please assist. 

Kautuk Sahni

Community Advisor

@Preetpal_Bindra have you tried setting Apache#1 Ip and port inside dispatcher#2 inside dispatcher.any /render section instead of redirects at apache#2?

Clients-->Apache#2-->Dispatcher#2-->Apache#1-->Dispatcher#1-->Publisher#1

Because more or less CDN infront of dispatcher works this way... Client hits CDN, CDN hits Apache, Apache executes dispatcher, which interns renders from publishers.

Assume your new Weblayer as CDN and implement.

Community Advisor
@Shashi_Mulugu Yes, i tried that and problem I faced is dispatcher (#1) declines the request as request is already processed by the dispatcher #2. This is by Dispatcher design.

Community Advisor
@Shashi_Mulugu No, the dispatcher #2 are apache+dispatcher. No CDN in this equation.

Community Advisor
If incase Dispatcher #1 declining the request, can you please attach the error.log. Mostly it should be w.r.t Request headers. Playing with it should solve the problem, by configuring Apache#1 to stop propagating the AEM related Headers to Dispatcher#1

Community Advisor

shashi1223

Outermost Apache (#2) has the Rewrite rules with the [PT] flag to pass on the request to outermost dispatcher (#2) and then further pass the request to innermost Apache (#1) and from there to (dispatcher #1) -> Publish.

The rewrite rules look like this,
RewriteRule ^/$ /content/aem-repository-path/home.html [PT]
RewriteRule ^/index(.html)?$ /content/aem-repository-path/home.html [PT]

Innermost Apache (#1) vhost file just registers the port number for the site and the dispatcher module. No rewrite rules as it is supposed to be a passthrough.

dispatcher log for the innermost server (#2)
=====================================
Found farm website for subdomain.domain.com
checking [/]
request URL has no extension: /
cache-action for [/]: NONE
Filter rejects: GET / HTTP/1.1
"GET /" - - 0ms [website/-]
checking [/]
request URL has no extension: /
cache-action for [/]: NONE
Filter rejects: GET / HTTP/1.1
"GET /" - - 0ms [website/-]
Already forwarded by dispatcher (subdomain.domain.com), declined.
"HEAD /aem-repository-path/home.html" - - 0ms [-/-]

dispatcher log for the outermost server (#2)
=====================================
Reusing socket: 49.xx.yy.123:80
Connected to backend rend01 (49.xx.yy.123:80)
response.status = 302
response.headers[Date] = "Fri, 17 Jul 2020 23:52:22 GMT"
response.headers[Content-Type] = "text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"
response.headers[X-Frame-Options] = "SAMEORIGIN, SAMEORIGIN"
response.headers[Location] = "https://domain/404.html"
Storing socket for later reuse: 49.xx.yy.123:80
"HEAD /aem-repository-path/home.html" 302 - 176ms [website/rend01]
checking [/aem-repository-path/home.html]
cachefile does not exist: /app/aem/aem-repository-path/home.html
cache-action for [/aem-repository-path/home.html]: NONE
Connected to backend rend01 (49.xx.yy.123:80)
response.status = 302
"HEAD /aem-repository-path/home.html" 302 - 190ms [website/rend01]
response.status = 302
"HEAD /aem-repository-path/home.html" 302 - 174ms [website/rend01]
checking [/aem-repository-path/home.html]
cachefile does not exist: /app/aem/aem-repository-path/home.html
cache-action for [/aem-repository-path/home.html]: NONE

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

There you go... you can clearly see that in Dispatcher #2, Dispatcher is adding few headers to show the publishers that it is a legitimate request... such as below 

And it will result as something similar to

request.headers[Via] = "1.1 x.x.x.x (dispatcher)"

request.headers[X-Forwarded-For] = "122.225.226.181"

request.headers[Server-Agent] = "Communique-Dispatcher"

In Apache Server #1, PT flag only serves for not processing further redirects, not unsettling the request headers.

Please unset the above request headers in Apache Server #1  in virtual host entry

RequestHeader unset via

Ex;-https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4428903/remove-basic-authentication-header-with-apache-mod-proxy

As of my knowledge those two headers should solve but check  out if you have to block/unset any other headers by enabling debug logging in Apache #1

Administrator
@Shashi_Mulugu, Very verbose reply. This is great work.

Kautuk Sahni

Employee Advisor

There is an internal "loop detection" built-in into the dispatcher; the dispatcher adds a special header, when it forwards a request to AEM. If the dispatcher receives a request with this special header, it complains and will not forward the request anymore, because it assumes a loop.

You can disable that feature if you add the Apache directive

DispatcherUseServerNameInVia 0

to the httpd configuration of 2 (Third Party).

Employee Advisor
Seems I was wrong (and that this feature has been removed some time ago). In that case you have to use mod_header to rewrite the Via: Header. (as suggested by the others). Sorry!

Community Advisor

@Jörg_Hoh This did not work for me. I checked it twice.

I am using Apache 2.4.29 on Ubuntu 18.x for server #2 and Apache 2.4.28 on RHEL 7.5 for server #1.

DispatcherUseServerNameInVia 0

I could still see the similar exceptions as before complaining about declining the call as the request is already served by Dispatcher. I could find any Adobe documentation on this.

@Shashi_Mulugu This worked just perfect!

RequestHeader unset via

I would like to see if there is a standard flag provided by Adobe, otherwise, this solves what I wanted. Thank you so much.

Employee Advisor
That's exactly the way how I solved the same issue 10 years ago, and I saw that it has been made configurable afterwards. But somehow it went missing ... Glad it works.