Expand my Community achievements bar.

Server restart sequence best practice

Level 1

I are using CQ 5.6, for an instance which consists of: 1 author, 2 publishers, 2 dispatchers.

I would like to know what is the best sequence to stop and start the author/publisher/dispatcher?

Is that first stop author, follow by stop publishers, and last dispatches?  And for the start sequence is in the opposite order (dispatcher > publish > author)?

Or doesn't matter for the ordering?

Best Regards,

Daniel

2 Replies

Community Advisor

why you need to restart the instance?

there is no rule as such for the same as it totally depends on your requirement. But usually we don't want our site to get down so in one go you can shut on dispatcher and respective publisher once you done with it start both then do the same for another set of dispatcher and publisher.

I mentioned dispatcher first because of once you shut dispatcher, your publisher will not be available for serving request and thus restart will take less time and will be safe as well.

Since author is not public facing so you can do anytime based on your need.

Hope this helps

Umesh Thakur

Employee Advisor

Author- Can be restarted independently as per need. But be careful for publish restart. First choose a time when to perform restart; avoid peak time. For publish server restart follow this process to avoid traffic loss:

1. Go to load balancer- Detach  dispatcher 1

2. Restart pub 1, wait for it to be up

3. Flush cache if needed, Restart dispatcher 1

4. Attach dispatcher 1 back to Load Balancer

5. Repeat step 1-4 for all other dispatcher-publish sets.