Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

"/etc/packages" got deleted from Author instance.

Level 3

Hi,

How to recover "/etc/packages" folder for an Author instance.

We are not sure how this got deleted from our Author instance only.

We couldn't able to deploy anything on Author now.

Please help us to recover the folder.

Thanks,
Ajay Boddu.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I tried the pkg installation method and it worked just fine.

How packages got deleted:

- Someone might have installed empty package with filter /etc/packages 

- Someone might have deleted the packages folder from CRX by mistake

You can check the history (crx-quickstart/logs/history.log), see if there is anything.

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Community Advisor

- if its managed by AMS, please raise a request to restore an older version (should be simple) of the author from backup

- if its on premise, you can take it from one of the publish servers you have (as package)

See if this makes sense..

Level 3

We tried taking a package from Publisher instance, getting error like " package can not create for itself" while building and is there any reason why this got deleted.? ever experienced.?

Community Advisor

Try to do the following: select /etc as root and include packages

silk_route11_0-1696498209587.png

Let me know if that works..

Level 3

Great.! Thank you it worked fine, but in publisher we have 246 packages all together, but here after installing this package, we received only 75 packages. how can we get all? and still we are not able to do the deployments.

Community Advisor

It worked for me. However, you can still try activating your required packages from the activation tree (from publish)

silk_route11_0-1696500027533.png

See if this one serves your need.. 

Level 3

I wanted to add all the packages to my Author instance that are available in Publisher instance. and want to know why/how these packages got deleted.

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I tried the pkg installation method and it worked just fine.

How packages got deleted:

- Someone might have installed empty package with filter /etc/packages 

- Someone might have deleted the packages folder from CRX by mistake

You can check the history (crx-quickstart/logs/history.log), see if there is anything.

Community Advisor

hello @Aj_9625932 

Best is to restore from your recent back up.

Its not necessary that the AEM Author and AEM publish packages were in sync previously.

Author could have had more than publish as well

Aanchal Sikka

Community Advisor

@Aj_9625932,

Restoring from a backup is the best option in this case. If you can find a backup of even a few months old, you will still get 80%-90% custom packages + OOTB packages. 

After the restoration is done, get any required packages those are there in publish but not in Author.

As others pointed, there could be multiple reason on why the "/etc/packages" folder might have been deleted.

1) Check if you have deployed any new code/package with empty /etc/packages paths.

2) Maybe got deleted from CRXDe while trying to delete something else from /etc/packages folder.

Administrator

@Aj_9625932 Did you find the suggestions from users helpful? Please let us know if more information is required. Otherwise, please mark the answer as correct for posterity. If you have found out solution yourself, please share it with the community.

Kautuk Sahni