Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Public server is required for deploying the site from author instance?

Former Community Member

Hi ,

I want to know that how to move the site content from author instance to public instance?

Whether public instance is required in deployment machine  .If it is yes please tell me the procedure..and why it required?

Thanks in advance 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi,

basically CQ assumes a strict separation between an authoring/editing environment and the delivery. That's why there need to be dedicated instances for these 2 roles. So the minimal setup (not recommended for production use though!) consists of an authoring and a publishing instance.

To make it production ready you should consider high-availability and caching, which normally require more instances and also dispatcher caches.

Jörg

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 7

Hello there,
I'm not quite sure what you mean but usually you can set it up like this:

1) Author Instance (on e.g server1:4502)
2) Publish Instance (on e.g. server2:4503)
It's not a problem to have them on the same machine as well if you prefer that :)

Then when you want to get the new content to the publish instance you simply replicate the parts that you want. This can be pages/images or packages with code. In the package manager it's possible to directly replicate packages while for pages and images etc you can replicate them individually by "activating" them from the DAM or the Site Admin or you can go into the Replication menu and replicate a subtree of content.

You have to manually point out where your publish instance  is located for the author to know where to replicate to.

Good Luck :)

Former Community Member

Thank you.

But i want to know that for deploying the cq web site what are the essential things required?

Whether public instance is necessary .If yes tell me the reason how its required ?

Level 7

Ok, i hope this will clarify some things:

Yes, a publish instance is required for the users to be able to access the content of you site without having to log in and not use the author interface. See this link for setting up the environments(http://dev.day.com/docs/en/cq/current/deploying/installing_cq.html#Installing Instances of Adobe Experience Manager)

It's also strongly recommended (IMO) to set up a dispatcher in front of the publish instance as well to help with caching and security amongst other things (http://dev.day.com/docs/en/cq/current/deploying/dispatcher.html).

That should be it, you author the site in the author environment, publish and activate content and code to the publish instance. Then the users will hit the dispatcher server / url and it will request uncached content from the publish instance if it hasn't already cached it.

/Johan

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi,

basically CQ assumes a strict separation between an authoring/editing environment and the delivery. That's why there need to be dedicated instances for these 2 roles. So the minimal setup (not recommended for production use though!) consists of an authoring and a publishing instance.

To make it production ready you should consider high-availability and caching, which normally require more instances and also dispatcher caches.

Jörg