Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Participant Step does not Timeout and Auto Advance

Level 3

I have a Participant step in a workflow that has the Timeout set to 24h and the Timeout Handler set to Auto Advancer.  After 24 hours have passed, the workflow does not auto advance to the next step.  I need this to auto-advance to the default branch of an or split.  When using the immediate option, it did auto advance to the first step in the default branch of the or split.

I originally thought the or split was the issue, but I took it out and it still isn't working in a simple workflow where it is just supposed to auto advance to another Participant step with no or split.  

Should the timeout setting be set differently?  I was going off of this documentation: https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/aem/6-1/develop/extending/workflows/wf-ref.html#Participant Step

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Sorry.. its 'Absolute Time Auto Advancer' which is on the top of the dropdown in your screenshot

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Level 10

In the document it says

"This process automatically advances the workflow to the next step. If there is more than one possible next step (for example, if there is an OR split) then this process will advance the workflow along the default route, if one has been specified, otherwise the workflow will not be advanced."

So please make sure you have specified a default route in your workflow !!!

Employee

Hi,

Did you set a Timeout Handler value?  In order for the timeout dropdown to work you must specify the following handler:  "Absolute Time Auto Advancer".

Also if you specify this timeout handler you can specify the timeout date dynamically.  To do this specify a workflow metadata value for the key "absoluteTime".  Set the value as a long representation of a date in the future, usually obtained from Calendar.getTimeInMillis() 

Hope this helps,

Will

Level 3

I set the Timeout Handler to Auto Advancer.  Based on this documentation: https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/aem/6-1/develop/extending/workflows/wf-ref.html#Participant Step, I thought that this would auto advance the step after the duration I set in the Timeout field.  Is this not correct?

Level 3

I did specify the default route and it worked when the timeout was set to Immediate.

I ran another on test on a workflow that did not have an or split and it did not work with the timeout setting of 24h and the timeout handler of Auto Advancer.

In case it matters, I am using AEM 6.1.

Level 10

It didnt work either for me, I am trying to see what is there in AutoAdvancer meanwhile as @will mentioned, do you want to try to Advance Time Auto Advancer

Level 3

If I need to use the Absolute Time Auto Advancer, I can create a step that sets the absolute time for 24 hours in the future, but based on the documentation it seemed like using the Auto Advancer and setting the Timeout should work.

Level 10

Hi, 

For your use case please use 'Advance Time Auto Advancer' handler instead of 'Auto Advance' and set the time required as 24hrs. It works I have tested it on AEM 6.1.

Level 3

I don't see that in the Timeout Handler dropdown.  I've attached a screenshot.

Correct answer by
Level 10

Sorry.. its 'Absolute Time Auto Advancer' which is on the top of the dropdown in your screenshot

Level 3

Thanks.  This worked.  Someone should update the Adobe documentation.