Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Pages' Structure Design

Level 5

Are there any good detailed guidelines on how to structure your page hierarchy? i.e. the page tree structure under /content/<project>/.. ?

Usually, at the root level, you have the home page and the different sections of your site (.e.g if it's an ecomm site you may have books, electronics, etc..as sections). Under them you'd have sub-sections or the actual pages. This seems to be the standard hierarchy I've seen in many AEM implementations. Any thoughts on whether this is adequate or when it'll be better to go for a different kind of structure?

I know there's David's model but info given there is brief and it seems to be about content design in a very general sense rather than specifically about page design.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

I tried to help with some more ways to think about Content architecture in https://cqdump.wordpress.com/2017/11/13/creating-the-content-architecture-with-aem/.

Does that help?

Jörg

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

I tried to help with some more ways to think about Content architecture in https://cqdump.wordpress.com/2017/11/13/creating-the-content-architecture-with-aem/.

Does that help?

Jörg

Level 5

Thanks Jorg that link certainly help. In that link you've said that When looking from the root node in the tree to node on a lower level, always add more privileges, but do not remove them. 

Could you expound on the benefits of following this approach and drawbacks of not doing so?

Employee Advisor
It goes along with the best practice regarding permissions: By default you should deny everything, and use groups to add more permissions. Because in the end the evaluation order matters. If you have allow and deny rules mixed, all of the sudden the order of the groups is important. And these are issues which are hard to debug and even harder to solve.