Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Old templates (app/project/templates) issue in 6.4; can it be converted?

Level 2

I'm currently on 6.2 but am moving over to 6.4 and trying to re-use my templates that I've created as part of my project (under /apps/project/templates).

The challenge I'm having is that all of the parsys and layout containers don't have any default component groups defined.

Previously, they were defined in /etc/designs/project, but from what I can tell, that path is no longer used?

Is there a way to still use these templates and specify the allowed component groups by default without having the author go into design mode after creating a page and manually selecting the groups?

Also, I would love to convert these templates to be dynamic templates so that my authors can modify the template layouts themselves. Is there an easy way to move these templates to the new format?

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

/etc/desgins/<project_name> path is not recommended in 6.4 but it would still work without any issues.

Same goes with static templates meaning that it would work without any issues.

Are you trying to find design dialog to add your components on page for that static template in touch UI? If yes, you would need to navigate to Design mode from Edit mode to add the components on parsys/container. Refer to - Static Template on the ADOBE AEM 6.4

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

/etc/desgins/<project_name> path is not recommended in 6.4 but it would still work without any issues.

Same goes with static templates meaning that it would work without any issues.

Are you trying to find design dialog to add your components on page for that static template in touch UI? If yes, you would need to navigate to Design mode from Edit mode to add the components on parsys/container. Refer to - Static Template on the ADOBE AEM 6.4

Level 2

Thanks for your help. I'll try adding back /etc/designs/project for now to see if that helps.

I'm aware how to add components into the component browser by going to the design mode. However, I want to have that defined on the template level (much like a policy in the new editable templates) so that the author doesn't have to keep doing that after creating a page with that template. Is there a way to do this in 6.4 anymore for static templates?

Level 10

That would still work the same old way of restricting the components via .content.xml of design page

E.g. Check the reference implementation in old versions of AEM

/etc/designs/geometrixx/jcr:content/<nodes for parsys/containers with component/group restrictions>

The concept of policy would not work in static templates but only in dynamic templates.