Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session
SOLVED

Null pointer exception on Startup

Level 1

Hey, 

When starting up AEM locally, I am getting a spam of 

java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.day.cq.dam.core.impl.process.SendTransientWorkflowCompletedEmailProcess.getEmailRecipients(SendTransientWorkflowCompletedEmailProcess.java:121)
at com.day.cq.dam.core.impl.process.SendTransientWorkflowCompletedEmailProcess.execute(SendTransientWorkflowCompletedEmailProcess.java:297)
at com.day.cq.workflow.compatibility.CQWorkflowProcessRunner.execute(CQWorkflowProcessRunner.java:93)
at com.adobe.granite.workflow.core.job.HandlerBase.executeProcess(HandlerBase.java:191)
at com.adobe.granite.workflow.core.job.JobHandler.process(JobHandler.java:260)
at org.apache.sling.event.impl.jobs.JobConsumerManager$JobConsumerWrapper.process(JobConsumerManager.java:502)
at org.apache.sling.event.impl.jobs.queues.JobQueueImpl.startJob(JobQueueImpl.java:293)
at org.apache.sling.event.impl.jobs.queues.JobQueueImpl.access$100(JobQueueImpl.java:60)
at org.apache.sling.event.impl.jobs.queues.JobQueueImpl$1.run(JobQueueImpl.java:229)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:750)

It doesn't prevent me from accessing the site locally, but I can't seem to figure out why it's throwing this. I haven't run any workflows, I'm simply starting the application. It doesn't happen immediately, but after about 60 seconds, the terminal begins flooding. Any ideas on this? 

AEM Version: 6.5
Windows 10

Java 1.8

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @Pseuplex - Looks like you have a transient workflow running that is throwing an exception during an email send, and they don't leave a footprint to purge the running workflow instances.

You can proceed by looking for the transient workflows available in your instance, start them one by one and verify the logs to identify which one of them is throwing this exception and fix it accordingly.

Thanks,

Fani

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi @Pseuplex 

I see you are using Java 1.8. However, the recommended runtime environment for AEM 6.5 is Java 11.

Also worth checking

1. Technical requirement: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-65/deploying/introduction/technical-requi...
  2. Setup AEM on local: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-learn/cloud-service/local-development-env...

If you follow relative steps correctly your AEM should be up and running.

Hope that helps!

Regards,
Santosh

Community Advisor

Hi,

Can you check if you have any workflow instances running or jobs are scheduled?

You can check this from osgi console to know what events are happening and check the events logs also from osgi console

Arun Patidar

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @Pseuplex - Looks like you have a transient workflow running that is throwing an exception during an email send, and they don't leave a footprint to purge the running workflow instances.

You can proceed by looking for the transient workflows available in your instance, start them one by one and verify the logs to identify which one of them is throwing this exception and fix it accordingly.

Thanks,

Fani