Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Metadata Schemas vs Metadata Profiles

Level 5

What is the difference between these two things and how do they tie together? From what I've read in the documentation:

• Metadata Schemas have more form field types and they define what values can be entered by an author for a particular asset?
  • Metadata Profiles are the same thing but they're defined automatically when an asset is uploaded?

I'm trying to determine the best way to add extra metadata properties for PDFs in a particular folder in the DAM. So I'm guessing Metadata Schemas would be the way to go?

I may also need to create a metadata-driven workflow that prompts the user to enter the extra/custom PDF metadata that I'd like to add. Is there anymore information or are there any examples of these? There only seems to be this tiny section that says what they are on this page of the documentation.

Thanks in advance! Also, I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong section (AEM Assets vs. Adobe Experience Manager).

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

If you are adding custom properties, you'll definitely need to update the metadata schema. Whether you create a profile or not depends on whether you want the metadata values to be populated automatically. 

For example, if you wanted to add a new property to PDFs called mydam:gDubz and want it to be automatically populated with the value "Gdubz is awesome" for all PDFs uploaded to "Gdubz" folder. You would have to 

1. Update the PDF metadata schema to add a new filed and map it to jcr:content/metadata/mydam:gDbuz (mydam would need to be registered as a valid namespace)
  2. Create a profile and populate the value of mydam:gDubz = Gdubz is awesome and assign the profile to the "Gdubz" folder. 

HTH. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee

If you are adding custom properties, you'll definitely need to update the metadata schema. Whether you create a profile or not depends on whether you want the metadata values to be populated automatically. 

For example, if you wanted to add a new property to PDFs called mydam:gDubz and want it to be automatically populated with the value "Gdubz is awesome" for all PDFs uploaded to "Gdubz" folder. You would have to 

1. Update the PDF metadata schema to add a new filed and map it to jcr:content/metadata/mydam:gDbuz (mydam would need to be registered as a valid namespace)
  2. Create a profile and populate the value of mydam:gDubz = Gdubz is awesome and assign the profile to the "Gdubz" folder. 

HTH. 

Administrator

One more internal suggestion,

" we can add metadata properties for only PDF files by creating a copy of default from here[0] and then add the required fields under copied-default/application/pdf and apply it to the desired folder; So only PDF           files uploaded in that folder will have the extra metadata properties.  

[0] http://localhost:4502/mnt/overlay/dam/gui/content/metadataschemaeditor/schemalist.html?formPath=/con...

"

~kautuk

Kautuk Sahni

Level 5

kaushal_mall wrote...

HTH. 

This is incredibly helpful in understanding the difference, thank you!

A couple follow-up question(s) regarding Metadata.

1. Does the value need to be hardcoded in AEM? or simply registering "mydam" as a namespace and adding "mydam:gDubz" as a schema property of PDFs within a specific folder enough?
  2. Will AEM pick up that metadata property if it was set in a PDF and then uploaded to the DAM? or is this something that you'd want to add an extra extract workflow process step for?

Employee
  1. Does the value need to be hardcoded in AEM? or simply registering "mydam" as a namespace and adding "mydam:gDubz" as a schema property of PDFs within a specific folder enough?

Just registering the namespace "mydam" is enough. Then you can have custom properties for the name space like mydam:prop1 and mydam:prop2

1. Will AEM pick up that metadata property if it was set in a PDF and then uploaded to the DAM? or is this something that you'd want to add an extra extract workflow process step for?

AEM will extract most of the metadata from the PDF OOTB.

Level 2

Hi,

I have a custom metadata Schema  and i would want just one field "Keywords" mapped to pdf:Keywords for pdf assets and for non pdf assets i want it to be mapped to dc:subject. Is there a way we can do it ?

Level 1

Ok, Lets put it this way, If you want to add new metadata property (with some default value or custom one ) to the asset, you need to update metadata profile with new metadata properties which will be applied to only new assets uploaded in that folder, if you want to apply that new metadata property to all the previously uploaded assets on that folder, you have to run ” DAM UPDATE ASSET” workflow on all the assets. This will only update new metadata property value in JCR at ./jcr:content/metadata path. Now if you want to access this value of new metadata property which is included in the metadata profile in the properties page of an asset, you have to update metadata schema form.

in short, the schema form is like what properties from the profile you want to show to the author, there could be 10 custom properties and if you want to show only 5 out of those 10 then update schema form with only those 5

hope this helps!