Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Installing service packs under quickstart install directory

Level 5

If you install packages under the crx-quickstart  install directory, after it installs, can you delete them from the directory?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I just did the test by having a package in crx-quickstart/install folder and started the instance. It installed the package with contents.

Stopped the instance, and deleted the package from the install folder.

Restarted the instance, all the contents installed by that package are gone. 

I am in AEM 6.5.10.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I just did the test by having a package in crx-quickstart/install folder and started the instance. It installed the package with contents.

Stopped the instance, and deleted the package from the install folder.

Restarted the instance, all the contents installed by that package are gone. 

I am in AEM 6.5.10.

Community Advisor

You can't delete it after the installation. JCRInstaller service watches for any changes in the install and config directories and updates the repository state.

As @Saravanan_Dharmaraj tested, package will be removed from repository if you delete it. 

Level 3

@sdouglasmc ,

This is fine as once you install the package through the install folder it will reflect in your instance. However if you delete it the next time the content will be deleted from the server as well.

Thanks,

Mahesh 

Level 5

That's fine if it deletes the package, but does it actually uninstall it?  I know you can install a package through Package Manager and after a while delete it.  It shouldn't actually uninstall it - but remove the package from /etc/packages.  However, I'm wondering if the same can be done without recourse using the Install folder.  I'm wondering really for Service packages.

Community Advisor

Yes. @sdouglasmc, deleting the package from the install folder uninstalls the content, which is also valid for Service Packs.

Level 3

What should the process be to upgrade an existing service pack?  I have the SP11 zip sitting in the crx-quickstart/install folder from when I installed it months ago.  I now want to apply SP14.

Level 1

You can do either: package manager or install folder.  Just DO NOT remove the previous SP11 from the install folder. 

I originally asked this questions because I believe a while back we used to get cumulative fix packs which were "in addition to" the last CFP.  About 2 years ago the changed to SP that, I thought I read once, shouldn't matter about previous installed versions.  I don't believe that is the case though as some SP have/had dependencies..

Level 3

I put it in the /install folder and that worked.  Thank you.  However, I'm going to play around with this a bit more because I have one system with SP11 in the /install folder and then I applied SP12 through the package manager.  productinfo indicates SP12 is running and everything seems to be working, but package manager shows this:

sp11package.png

Level 3

I tested this a number of different ways with SP12 installed, then installed SP16.  I dropped SP16 in the /install directory.  Once it upgraded successfully (and after a restart), I deleted SP12 from /install while AEM was stopped and while running.  In both cases AEM seemed operational.  I also installed SP16 via package manager, then deleted SP12 from /install.  Also looks good.

Could something have change in more recent service packs to allow you to delete the old ones safely?

Community Advisor

Hi @sdouglasmc ,

By default the folder crx-quickstart/install is watched for files.
This folder does not exist, but simply can be created at runtime.

If a bundle, configuration or content package is put into this directory, it is automatically picked up and installed. If it’s removed, it gets uninstalled.
It is another way to put bundles, content packages or configurations to the repository.

However, Adobe does not recommend removing or uninstalling SP's or CFP's, additionally it is not supported.

Regards,

Santosh