Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session
SOLVED

how to set a Default value inside an Reference component provided using data-sly-resource

Level 3

hi ,

I have a component which uses an reference component embedded inside the main component. I am using AEM 6.5 . 

<sly data-sly-resource="${'experiencefragment' @ resourceType='cq/experience-fragments/editor/components/experiencefragment'}"></sly>

I need to define default values to the fragmentPath inside the experience fragment. I tried using the approach provided under 

https://experienceleaguecommunities.adobe.com/t5/adobe-experience-manager/default-value-in-reference... , i.e using cq:template and cq:templatePath approach and it fails . 

STEPS : 

1. Created a node inside the component of type nt:unstructured called cq:template. Added a property called fragmentPath of type String to it with default value for XF path. 

2. Created a sling:folder outside the component called templateConfigs, created node of type nt:unstructured inside it called experienceFragment . Added a property to it called fragmentPath of type String. Then added a property to component called cq:templateType (String) and added path of the new config as its value.

Both above approaches did not work. Please help.

Thanks,

Samiksha,

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi @samikshaa223429,

@arunpatidar beat me to the punch  But his answer is correct! One thing to know is that the value is cq:template are set when a component is created. That means if you placed your component on the page, then modified the cq:template values, you would have to remove and add the component again to see the changes, maybe that is your problem? 

Other things to look out for:

• The cq:template child must have the same name as the name of the resource in your data-sly-resource attribute (ie: experiencefragment)
  • The property you want to set a default for must match the name of that property in the target resourceType (ie: fragmentPath)

Here's a quick GIF to prove it works:

Peek 2020-07-01 12-45.gif 

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Community Advisor

Create a node inside the component of type nt:unstructured called cq:template. Add a child node experiencefragment type of nt:unstructured and add a property called fragmentPath of type String to it with the default value for XF path. 

Arun Patidar

Level 3

hi Arun ,

The solution shared by you didnt work . XF is still not picking up the default value. 

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi @samikshaa223429,

@arunpatidar beat me to the punch  But his answer is correct! One thing to know is that the value is cq:template are set when a component is created. That means if you placed your component on the page, then modified the cq:template values, you would have to remove and add the component again to see the changes, maybe that is your problem? 

Other things to look out for:

• The cq:template child must have the same name as the name of the resource in your data-sly-resource attribute (ie: experiencefragment)
  • The property you want to set a default for must match the name of that property in the target resourceType (ie: fragmentPath)

Here's a quick GIF to prove it works:

Peek 2020-07-01 12-45.gif 

Community Advisor
Yes you are correct @Theo_Pendle , the cq:template's properties are added to the node as soon as component added to the page. The idea to have properties in cq:template to initialize component with default values similar to value property of Granite field type. Once the component is modified or already added, cq:template will not have any effect.

Arun Patidar

Level 3
hi , the issue is that I am not using this inside a component(which is dragged into a parsys). It gets loaded on the page creation and is added in template html

Community Advisor
Hi, You need to add cq:template to the page component if you are using static template otherwise you need to add default node and properties in the initial part of dynamic template.

Arun Patidar