Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

How to Replicate users and groups from author to publisher

Level 3

Hi All,

Am running on AEM 6.1 SP2-CFP11. Am trying to replicate the users from author to publisher.

Below are the steps which i tried, but they haven't worked:

1. I created a list of groups.
  2. I set permissions to the groups.
  3. I created a list of users.
  4. I assigned group(s) to the users.
  5. I created a package filtering the newly created groups and users. And replicated that package to my publish instance.

Is there a way to achieve this requirement? Thanks in advance.

Thanks,

Arun.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Here is the reply from our team:

1. Will the passwords of users also be synced when installing the ACL package?

[DG] Not unless the checkbox to “include principals” is selected when packaging up the ACLs. That will also include the rep:principal nodes (passwords and everything else) in the package.

2. Any ways to create a user sync between author and publisher which are in the same environment?

[DG] Perhaps Sling Content Distribution would be helpful? IIRC there is some documentation for this on docs as part of communities. Also, often that sync is 1 way; pub -> author; seems strange having author users synced to pub. Usually those users would register/login.

You can always replicate users, or package them up (ACS Commons Authorizable Packager) and push that package. You can automate the package push via https://adobe-consulting-services.github.io/acs-aem-commons/features/automatic-package-replicator/in...

3. Any other best method to handle this use-case.?

[DG] Feels like details are missing in the use case (truly bi-directional? Real-time? Scheduled? One time/manual?).. but see above.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi Arun,

When it is with users/groups, it should be a direct package install via package Manager in publish environment.

I would request Adobe team to confirm if my understanding is correct.

Level 10

Correct - you replicate content such as pages. To get users from AUTHOR to PUB - you use packages.

Also - see - ACL Packager

Hope this helps.

Level 3

Yes that really helps to understand why replicating the permissions are not working.

My actual use-case for replicating users is this:

We don't have a user-sync from our corporate directory linked to the AEM. So we are managing users in the AEM useradmin console only.

We have a set of say 10 AEM instances at different environments where these groups and users are to be present. Installing the package manually is a one time task and not a problem. But the password management for the users on these 10 servers individually is going to add up confusion to the users. My questions would be like:

2. Any ways to create a user sync between author and publisher which are in the same environment?

Thanks much for your time reading my long comment. It would be very useful if you could advise me on this.

Level 10

We are trying to get these answers from the team that wrote that package.

Correct answer by
Level 10

Here is the reply from our team:

[DG] Not unless the checkbox to “include principals” is selected when packaging up the ACLs. That will also include the rep:principal nodes (passwords and everything else) in the package.

[DG] Perhaps Sling Content Distribution would be helpful? IIRC there is some documentation for this on docs as part of communities. Also, often that sync is 1 way; pub -> author; seems strange having author users synced to pub. Usually those users would register/login.

You can always replicate users, or package them up (ACS Commons Authorizable Packager) and push that package. You can automate the package push via https://adobe-consulting-services.github.io/acs-aem-commons/features/automatic-package-replicator/in...

[DG] Feels like details are missing in the use case (truly bi-directional? Real-time? Scheduled? One time/manual?).. but see above.