Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

how to make custom template name using copy from previous template?

Level 4

Hello,

I'm trying to create a new editable template.
I have already created one template from scratch and am planning to create another using this template.
When I copied and created this, this template had a 1 added to the end of the existing name.

My question is, how can I safely change the name of this copied template to the name I want?

Regards,

keehwan1_0-1714743389105.png

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@keehwan1

It is NOT recommended to change the template name once pages are created against this template. AEM OOTB doesn't provide a mechanism to update the name from Templates console (it only provides a way to update the template title).

If the pages are not created with this template name then you can update:

1. The template name from CRX/DE on non-prod env (on prod there is limited access to crx/de)
  2. cq:template property from initial/jcr:content (ref [1])
  3. cq:template property from structure/jcr:content (ref [1])

If there a pages which are referring to the older template then you can view references using 'References' in left rail by selecting that template (ref [2]). All those pages would need to point to the new template name.

You can write a custom Groovy script to update the references to the new name but again this is not recommended in production environment as updating the pages / templates can be risky (you live pages can break). So always test in lower environment and take back up before performing this operation.

[1]:
Jineet_Vora_0-1714746265383.png

[2]

Jineet_Vora_1-1714746422362.png

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@keehwan1

It is NOT recommended to change the template name once pages are created against this template. AEM OOTB doesn't provide a mechanism to update the name from Templates console (it only provides a way to update the template title).

If the pages are not created with this template name then you can update:

1. The template name from CRX/DE on non-prod env (on prod there is limited access to crx/de)
  2. cq:template property from initial/jcr:content (ref [1])
  3. cq:template property from structure/jcr:content (ref [1])

If there a pages which are referring to the older template then you can view references using 'References' in left rail by selecting that template (ref [2]). All those pages would need to point to the new template name.

You can write a custom Groovy script to update the references to the new name but again this is not recommended in production environment as updating the pages / templates can be risky (you live pages can break). So always test in lower environment and take back up before performing this operation.

[1]:
Jineet_Vora_0-1714746265383.png

[2]

Jineet_Vora_1-1714746422362.png