Expand my Community achievements bar.

Guidelines for the Responsible Use of Generative AI in the Experience Cloud Community.
SOLVED

how to make custom template name using copy from previous template?

Level 4

Hello,

I'm trying to create a new editable template.
I have already created one template from scratch and am planning to create another using this template.
When I copied and created this, this template had a 1 added to the end of the existing name.

My question is, how can I safely change the name of this copied template to the name I want?

Regards,

keehwan1_0-1714743389105.png

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@keehwan1

It is NOT recommended to change the template name once pages are created against this template. AEM OOTB doesn't provide a mechanism to update the name from Templates console (it only provides a way to update the template title).

If the pages are not created with this template name then you can update:

1. The template name from CRX/DE on non-prod env (on prod there is limited access to crx/de)
  2. cq:template property from initial/jcr:content (ref [1])
  3. cq:template property from structure/jcr:content (ref [1])

If there a pages which are referring to the older template then you can view references using 'References' in left rail by selecting that template (ref [2]). All those pages would need to point to the new template name.

You can write a custom Groovy script to update the references to the new name but again this is not recommended in production environment as updating the pages / templates can be risky (you live pages can break). So always test in lower environment and take back up before performing this operation.

[1]:
Jineet_Vora_0-1714746265383.png

[2]

Jineet_Vora_1-1714746422362.png

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@keehwan1

It is NOT recommended to change the template name once pages are created against this template. AEM OOTB doesn't provide a mechanism to update the name from Templates console (it only provides a way to update the template title).

If the pages are not created with this template name then you can update:

1. The template name from CRX/DE on non-prod env (on prod there is limited access to crx/de)
  2. cq:template property from initial/jcr:content (ref [1])
  3. cq:template property from structure/jcr:content (ref [1])

If there a pages which are referring to the older template then you can view references using 'References' in left rail by selecting that template (ref [2]). All those pages would need to point to the new template name.

You can write a custom Groovy script to update the references to the new name but again this is not recommended in production environment as updating the pages / templates can be risky (you live pages can break). So always test in lower environment and take back up before performing this operation.

[1]:
Jineet_Vora_0-1714746265383.png

[2]

Jineet_Vora_1-1714746422362.png