Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session
SOLVED

How to have more than 1 rewrite.rules file in aem as a cloud dispatcher

Level 2

How to have more than 1 rewrite.rules file in aem as a cloud dispatcher
I have created opt-in/USE_SOURCES_DIRECTLY but still its throwing validation errors following this document
https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-cloud-service/implementing/content-delive...

Any help on remaining part of the process would be great to have

Ralph8_0-1634134590581.png

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi,

According to the troubleshooting docs, the custom rewrite rules can be added into rewrite.rule and defualt_rewrite.rule is optional to add.

included file (…) does not match any known file

There are two types of files in your Apache virtual host configuration that can be specified as includes: rewrites and variables. The included files need to be named as follows:

Type Include file name

Rewritesconf.d/rewrites/rewrite.rules
Variablesconf.d/variables/custom.vars

Alternatively, you can include the default version of the rewrite rules, whose name is conf.d/rewrites/default_rewrite.rules. Note, that there is no default version of the variables files.

And as you already mentioned that the new flexible mode does not have this limitation, did you tried with new Flexible mode

• Flexible mode - the recommended mode, and the default for AEM archetype 28 and higher, which is also used by Cloud Manager for new environments created after the Cloud Manager 2021.7.0 release. Customers can activate this mode by adding the folder and file opt-in/USE_SOURCES_DIRECTLY. By using this more flexible mode, there are no limitations in the file structure under the rewrites folder that in legacy mode required a single rewrite.rules file. Also, there is no limitation on the number of rules you can add. For for details on folder structure and local validation see Validating and Debugging using Dispatcher Tools.

• Legacy mode - for details on the folder structure and local validation for dispatcher configuration legacy mode, see Validating and Debugging using Dispatcher Tools (Legacy)

Arun Patidar

View solution in original post

15 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi @Ralph8 ,

There is no much diffrence in  normal dispatcher and Adobe cloud dispatcher.

In Adobe cloud dispatcher you need to add your rewrite file and use dispatcher validater to make the correction of path.

Regards,

Sanjay

Level 2

Hi @Sanjay_Bangar,

The dispatcher validator is breaking here when its finding a different rewrite.rule file.

Just trying to understand how to add multiple rewrite.rules because the validator is performing some checks to make sure things work.

Regards
Ralph

Community Advisor

1.  in this case as  'rewrites' files can be specified as includes vhost configuration files:

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-cloud-service/implementing/content-delive...

2. While converting from AMS to AEM cloud dispatcher, it is mentioned to "Remove allowlists"

- Remove the folder conf.d/whitelists and remove Include statements in the virtual host files referring to
some file in that subfolder.

3. You can refer/ use Dispatcher Converter Tool if trying to migrate from AMS dispatcher configs to AEM cloud:

Community Advisor

Hi,

Can you check if is works or not if you inlcude default file and custom file to rewrite.rules file

e.g.

https://github.com/arunpatidar02/aemaacs-aemlab/tree/master/dispatcher.cloud/src/conf.d/rewrites

Arun Patidar

Level 2

Hi Arun,

The rewrite.rules and the default_rewrite.rules seems to work but why can't we have any other custom rewrite.rules file but as per the following attached pic from Adobe site it should technically work.

Also in my case i am having more than 400 rewrite rules so segregating them into domain wise different files would be kind of a better option to avoid mishaps.

Ralph8_0-1634541742377.png

Link to site - https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-cloud-service/implementing/content-delive...

Regards
Ralph

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi,

According to the troubleshooting docs, the custom rewrite rules can be added into rewrite.rule and defualt_rewrite.rule is optional to add.

included file (…) does not match any known file

There are two types of files in your Apache virtual host configuration that can be specified as includes: rewrites and variables. The included files need to be named as follows:

Type Include file name

Rewritesconf.d/rewrites/rewrite.rules
Variablesconf.d/variables/custom.vars

Alternatively, you can include the default version of the rewrite rules, whose name is conf.d/rewrites/default_rewrite.rules. Note, that there is no default version of the variables files.

And as you already mentioned that the new flexible mode does not have this limitation, did you tried with new Flexible mode

• Flexible mode - the recommended mode, and the default for AEM archetype 28 and higher, which is also used by Cloud Manager for new environments created after the Cloud Manager 2021.7.0 release. Customers can activate this mode by adding the folder and file opt-in/USE_SOURCES_DIRECTLY. By using this more flexible mode, there are no limitations in the file structure under the rewrites folder that in legacy mode required a single rewrite.rules file. Also, there is no limitation on the number of rules you can add. For for details on folder structure and local validation see Validating and Debugging using Dispatcher Tools.

• Legacy mode - for details on the folder structure and local validation for dispatcher configuration legacy mode, see Validating and Debugging using Dispatcher Tools (Legacy)

Arun Patidar

Community Advisor

rm -rf ./out && ./bin/validator full -relaxed ./src

Arun Patidar

Level 2

i had tried and it didnt work, even Adobe support guys mentioned that the feature doesnt work.
Not sure why its advertised if its not supported.

Community Advisor

@Ralph8 - I am facing the same issue, even with opt-in/USE_SOURCES_DIRECTLY in the repo (archetype 35), I am still not able to add separate rewrite rule files for each site.

Is there no fix for this problem yet ?

Community Advisor

Hi Arun,

My project archetype is 35 and by default has the opt-in folder with USE_SOURCES_DIRECTLY file present.

However, even then I am getting the same error.

If I run the validator in relaxed mode as suggested, its working fine - 

C:\Users\rohan.garg\aem-sdk\dispatcher\aem-sdk-dispatcher-tools-2.0.91-windows\bin>validator full -relaxed D:/DestPet/Branches/Dispatcher_New/aemrepo/dispatcher/src
Cloud manager validator 2.0.34
2022/08/02 13:14:31 No issues found

However in non-relaxed mode, it throws the below message - 

C:\Users\rohan.garg\aem-sdk\dispatcher\aem-sdk-dispatcher-tools-2.0.91-windows\bin>validator.exe full -d ../out D:/DestPet/Branches/Dispatcher_New/aemrepo/dispatcher/src
Cloud manager validator 2.0.34
2022/08/02 13:14:37 conf.d\rewrites\rewrite.rules:9: included file (conf.d\rewrites\abc_rewrite.rules) does not match any known fileconf.d\rewrites\rewrite.rules:9: included file (conf.d\rewrites\abc_rewrite.rules) does not match any known file

However, on the cloud the redirections didn't work as intended for the different "abc" site.

Update - the redirections are working correctly now, I just arranged the sequence of redirects to make them more coherent. The problem is not replicable for me anymore.
The multiple rewrites call works in flexible mode.

Community Advisor

HI @Rohan_Garg 

I am not sure if flexible mode works or not, I will try and let you know

Arun Patidar

Community Advisor

@arunpatidar - I am able to add multiple rewrite files from rewrite.rules file.

However, I want to separate them based on domain.

Include conf.d/rewrites/default_rewrite.rules
Include conf.d/rewrites/xyz_rewrite.rules

Is there any way to conditionally filter the include file based on domain ?
I tried to use the below - 

<If "%{HTTP_HOST} == 'xyzdomain.com'">
Include conf.d/rewrites/xyz_rewrite.rules
</If>

But got the below error - 
AH00526: Syntax error on line 11 of /etc/httpd/conf.d/rewrites/xyz_rewrite.rules:
<LocationMatch not allowed in <If> context

Level 2

Hi @Rohan_Garg ,

Did you get any solution for the issue ?

I also have the requirement of rewrite rules based on different domain but multiple rewrite files are not working.

So , I added rules in domain's vhost file under <IfModule mod_rewrite.c> but this is also not working.

Community Advisor

you can use environmental variables in the Dispatcher files if domains are different for environments

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-cloud-service/content/implementing/using-... 

Arun Patidar

Level 1

Hello, I have a similar issue on my local environment.

I'm using flex mode for my dispatcher configs in the AEM cloud, and when I try to add a custom folder to conf.d/rewrites,

e.g

(conf.d/rewrites/CUSTOM_FOLDER_A/CUSTOM_REWRITE_FOR_A.rules)

(conf.d/rewrites/CUSTOM_FOLDER_B/CUSTOM_REWRITE_FOR_B.rules)

I see the following error while executing in the console.

"cp: can'tcreate CUSTOM_FOLDER/CUSTOM_REWRITE.rules"

But when I add CUSTOM_REWRITE.rules right under conf.d/rewrites/ it works 

The problem only with additional folders under rewrites directory

Do u have any idea how can I resolve this issue?