Level 2

Tip /
Sign in

Sign in to Community

to gain points, level up, and earn exciting badges like the new
Bedrock Mission!

Learn more

Sign in to view all badges

global header and footer component approach.

AdobeID24
Level 6
Level 6

.somewhere i have seen this kind of implementaion without using design dialog and all how they are making global things

============================================================================================

I have queries how it is working:

1) In apps cretaed a component apps/.../siteconfigcomp and created dialog (like footer image footer title and header image and header title everything globally whichever i needed  )and one .html file (which i m not sure wat they are doing in that )

made  a siteconfig.html page inside etc/design/myproject/siteconfig.html and used slingresourcetype as apps/.../siteconfigcomp

now if we open  etc/design/myproject/siteconfig.html we get all dailog field one by one like a page and save button  like dialog only and author can fill the values and save it . and it will be saved etc/design/myproject/siteconfig/jcr:content.

Now if any page in /content wants top use that footer image header image header text or title (any global values ) we can use

because  page inside /content/rootnode will have cq:design path like etc/design/myproject/siteconfig

note :slingResourceSupertype : wcm/core/components/designer is this ...for component..........-------->>> apps/.../siteconfigcomp

now question is :

How that etc/design/myproject/siteconfig.html is looking like a page rather a dialog which comes when we congfigure any component in desgin mode . here dialog is stable and coming like form or page . ?

And please explain if this is any standard approach for header and footer values .

3 Replies
Jörg_Hoh
Employee
Employee

This is not the default way to using the design dialogs. It's a customization by itself (which can be done) but which requires additional work to integrate it.

The problem: If you have more than 1 site which should have the same design ( = clientlibs) but different header/footer it's getting hard, not to say: impossible. Because it mixes design (in the way CQ5/AEM is using it) with content.

Thus you should store header and footer information (which is displayed and which should be customizable by authors) in /content, and the design somewhere else.

And with editable templates, Context-Aware Configuration and the repository restructuring of AEM 6.4 (and later), I would assume that new features do no longer use /etc/designs. Which is also something you should think of 🙂

Jörg

AdobeID24
Level 6
Level 6

here cq:dialog has been used they have not used desgin:dialog......and header and footer informations like title and images are being stored in etc/design/myproject/siteconfig/jcr:content.

and now I can use thses information in my Header component easily .

@Inject
Designer currentDesign;

and then currentDesign.getDesign(currentPage).getContentResource().getChild("node-name of etc/design/myproject/siteconfig/jcr:content. lke footerTitle")

now question is :

How that etc/design/myproject/siteconfig.html is looking like a page rather a dialog which comes when we congfigure any component in desgin mode . here dialog is stable and coming like  any  form page or like a dialog page  . ?

vijkumar
Level 3
Level 3

As per my understanding, content fragments would be good option to use in case you wish to have global header n footer. A content fragment could be managed from a single source and changes would be easily pushed to all the pages without much effort.

Refer:

Adobe Experience Manager Help | Using Content Fragments in AEM