Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

global header and footer component approach.

Level 7

.somewhere i have seen this kind of implementaion without using design dialog and all how they are making global things

============================================================================================

I have queries how it is working:

1) In apps cretaed a component apps/.../siteconfigcomp and created dialog (like footer image footer title and header image and header title everything globally whichever i needed  )and one .html file (which i m not sure wat they are doing in that )

made  a siteconfig.html page inside etc/design/myproject/siteconfig.html and used slingresourcetype as apps/.../siteconfigcomp

now if we open  etc/design/myproject/siteconfig.html we get all dailog field one by one like a page and save button  like dialog only and author can fill the values and save it . and it will be saved etc/design/myproject/siteconfig/jcr:content.

Now if any page in /content wants top use that footer image header image header text or title (any global values ) we can use

because  page inside /content/rootnode will have cq:design path like etc/design/myproject/siteconfig

note :slingResourceSupertype : wcm/core/components/designer is this ...for component..........-------->>> apps/.../siteconfigcomp

now question is :

How that etc/design/myproject/siteconfig.html is looking like a page rather a dialog which comes when we congfigure any component in desgin mode . here dialog is stable and coming like form or page . ?

And please explain if this is any standard approach for header and footer values .

3 Replies

Employee Advisor

This is not the default way to using the design dialogs. It's a customization by itself (which can be done) but which requires additional work to integrate it.

The problem: If you have more than 1 site which should have the same design ( = clientlibs) but different header/footer it's getting hard, not to say: impossible. Because it mixes design (in the way CQ5/AEM is using it) with content.

Thus you should store header and footer information (which is displayed and which should be customizable by authors) in /content, and the design somewhere else.

And with editable templates, Context-Aware Configuration and the repository restructuring of AEM 6.4 (and later), I would assume that new features do no longer use /etc/designs. Which is also something you should think of :-)

Jörg

Level 7

here cq:dialog has been used they have not used desgin:dialog......and header and footer informations like title and images are being stored in etc/design/myproject/siteconfig/jcr:content.

and now I can use thses information in my Header component easily .

@Inject
Designer currentDesign;

and then currentDesign.getDesign(currentPage).getContentResource().getChild("node-name of etc/design/myproject/siteconfig/jcr:content. lke footerTitle")

now question is :

How that etc/design/myproject/siteconfig.html is looking like a page rather a dialog which comes when we congfigure any component in desgin mode . here dialog is stable and coming like  any  form page or like a dialog page  . ?

Level 3

As per my understanding, content fragments would be good option to use in case you wish to have global header n footer. A content fragment could be managed from a single source and changes would be easily pushed to all the pages without much effort.

Refer:

Adobe Experience Manager Help | Using Content Fragments in AEM