Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Flatten the MSM Content Structure

Level 4

We have MSM with about 10 different languages. Our authors are having issues when any time they need to manage contents they have to navigate to each locale location (en, es, fr, ru etc) and update the content on the content fragment.

Looking for suggestion if anyone has tried a different approach like having a single page where all the translated contents are available fro a particular content through different tabs or sections? Basically looking if flattening the structure is possible instead of following the Adobe's suggested structure?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

MSM in 10 locales.

I am expecting that in the blue print you will have all locales (example in language masters ../content/wknd/language-masters/<locales>)

I am expecting that similarly for content fragments ,in the blue print you will have all locales (example in language masters ../content/dam/global/language-masters/<locales>) 

Once the content is available in source language , then its the translation tool which will handles all translations and then MSM will handle to push data to the live copies.

For content fragment ---> MSM feature is available from 6.5.5 only.

for I18n/tags -->  at a time we can see all locales data.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

MSM in 10 locales.

I am expecting that in the blue print you will have all locales (example in language masters ../content/wknd/language-masters/<locales>)

I am expecting that similarly for content fragments ,in the blue print you will have all locales (example in language masters ../content/dam/global/language-masters/<locales>) 

Once the content is available in source language , then its the translation tool which will handles all translations and then MSM will handle to push data to the live copies.

For content fragment ---> MSM feature is available from 6.5.5 only.

for I18n/tags -->  at a time we can see all locales data.

Level 4
Hello @SundeepKatepally - correct. The challenge comes when authors have to navigation to several levels down to a particular locale and then again navigate to the particular page to see the translation every time they submit the master copy for translation.

Community Advisor

@vsharm Can you please share your blueprint structure once. Also i see from your question that authors having issues to go to each locale location and modify content, does that means, one team/person managing all content? not regional specific authors? MSM is a beautiful concept if we have specific authors for specific country/region and share similar content between them. If everything is maintained by one team or if no content sharing between regions or all regions having same content, then i feel it may not be best Usecase of MSM.

Level 4
@Shashi_Mulugu - we have few people in the content team who are responsible for managing the contents for different locale. We have english content which has the live copy as "Translation master" aka TM. From TM, we submit to TDC which brings back the content for each locale. Before publishing authors review the content for the translation and then they publish if it looks good.

Level 4
@Shashi_Mulugu - we have few people in the content team who are responsible for managing the contents for different locale. We have english content which has the live copy as "Translation master" aka TM. From TM, we submit to TDC which brings back the content for each locale. Before publishing authors review the content for the translation and then they publish if it looks good. the challenge is that authors have to navigate so deep in the content to review the translation like /content/dam/<level1>/<level2>/<contentfragments>/level<3>......<fr_FR>[path to the page] and if there are multiple locales, you have to keep doing it for each locale like this which is time consuming.

Employee Advisor

If you are using the MSM I would strongly suggest to stick with the suggested structure (country/language), because that is how the MSM is supposed to be used, how it is working and how everyone is expecting the setup to be.

But of course you can build a custom maintenance UI on top, which allows you to open the various livecopies of a page in a more covenient way. But that's only UI then, the underlying structure remains the same.

Level 4
ok. thank you for all for your input. We will stick to the suggested structure but may be do some our won customization onto the UI to ease up the process for authors.

Community Advisor

@vsharm As mentioned by @Jörg_Hoh, Best way to implement MSM is country language hierarchy. 
That's how almost all the MSM AEM sites are designed. Never came across any other method to handle country language.

Below is the basic structure of MSM.

Nikhil_Kumar_AEM_0-1598280178123.png
Thanks,
Nikhil