Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Exclude header component from caching

Level 4

Hi,

I am trying to use SDI to exclude header from getting cached as it is the common header component used across all the pages. The header is dragged dropped on root page in iparsys and same is inherited by all the child pages.

The issue I am facing is, if I change any page property like - page title or page icon and publish that particular page. The changed header shows up only on that page and not on other child and parent pages. To resolve this issue I decide to use SDI.

But I am thinking as to is it the optimal approach because in the header there are 3 levels of pages visible along with their icons, so every time page is rendered header processing happens which may impact performance.

Is there any other way I can implement this - may be by creating a json and building header in js via JSON and flushing json every time any page is activating.

Please give  suggestions as to which is an optimal solution and any other approach I can take?

Also just to add I use both dispatcher and CDN for caching.

Regards,

Shallu

7 Replies

Employee

You need to point your header to 1 location, then all the pages see the same changes.

Level 10

WHat version of AEM are you using?

Level 10

IN AEM 6.3/6.4 - you should not be using IParsys or static templates anymore. You should be using editbale templates and defining a header on the editable template. Creating a header using JSON is not best practice.

ie - here is a header defined in an Editable Template.  In 6.3/6.4 - this is best practice.

pol8.png

Level 4

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your reply. I am using version 6.3. However I cannot include my header in template structure as I have multiple microsites around 70+, each for different locales and I will be using same editable template across all the microsites. So, I want different header configurations for each language site. Therefore, I need to use iParsys to have different header configuration for each language site.

Level 4

Hi Visser,

Thanks for your reply. What do you exactly mean by having to point header to one location? Header is a component which we have dropped in iparsys so that it can be inherited by child pages.

Level 10

Have you followed MSM that AEM supports?

Each site should have its own header right?

Level 4

Hi Scott,

We are trying to configure header for each micro site and links in header are auto generated from the child page properties.

When we change a child page property and activate that page  header change is not reflected for other pages.

Also each site has its own header and that is in iparsys. The reason being we cannot create editable template for each microsite else we will end up creating 70+ templates.

MSM would have solved our problem but we want different configurations for each language site therefore we cannot put it in template.

Thanks

Regards,

Shallu