Expand my Community achievements bar.

July 31st AEM Gems Webinar: Elevate your AEM development to master the integration of private GitHub repositories within AEM Cloud Manager.
SOLVED

Eclipse vs. CXFDE

Former Community Member

Version: 5.6.1

Is there anything that I can't achieve doing all my development work in eClipse ?

I *had* thought that we would need to use CXFDE for certain tasks, but recently a partner who we are using to help us develop our first CQ applications told us that they NEVER use CXFDE.

Regards

Fraser

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

From a development perspective, you can do everything using content packages and their XML files. Personally, I think you'll find that there are some tasks (workflow model editing comes to mind) where editing through the web interface (not CRXDE Lite in this case) is more efficient, but it is ultimately all content and it doesn't matter how you edit it (as long as you edit it correctly, that is smiley).

There's a separate use case for CRXDE Lite related to troubleshooting and as troubleshooting is a key part of development, I think you'll end up using CRXDE Lite a lot during development. But if you don't want to use it, you don't have to.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 10

I assume you mean CRXDE & not CXFDE. CRXDE will be declared eol. You should use other ide like eclipse, intelj,Tortoise etc... for development work

Former Community Member

Sham HC wrote...

I assume you mean CRXDE & not CXFDE. CRXDE will be declared eol. You should use other ide like eclipse, intelj,Tortoise etc... for development work

Arrrggghhh too much web services work recently, YES I meant CRXDE Lite.

EOL for CRXDE you say, interesting, I hadn't heard that. Any idea when ?

We are just starting out and have experience with Java/Maven/Eclipse/Jenkins/Git .... within the existing team, so we were hoping/expecting to just stick with this tooling and use the CQ Maven archetypes ?

Correct answer by
Employee

From a development perspective, you can do everything using content packages and their XML files. Personally, I think you'll find that there are some tasks (workflow model editing comes to mind) where editing through the web interface (not CRXDE Lite in this case) is more efficient, but it is ultimately all content and it doesn't matter how you edit it (as long as you edit it correctly, that is smiley).

There's a separate use case for CRXDE Lite related to troubleshooting and as troubleshooting is a key part of development, I think you'll end up using CRXDE Lite a lot during development. But if you don't want to use it, you don't have to.

Level 10

Fraser Goffin wrote...

Sham HC wrote...

Arrrggghhh too much web services work recently, YES I meant CRXDE Lite.

EOL for CRXDE you say, interesting, I hadn't heard that. Any idea when ?

Not sure when. Watch out at [1] & I have placed a request to update for crxde.

[1]   https://www.adobe.com/support/products/enterprise/eol/eol_matrix.html