Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Eclipse Development tools error

Level 2

Hi, I started having problems yesterday with my eclipse installation, I am trying to set up Eclipse again with AEM development tools and I don't stop getting this error when creating a project (I have tried both Mars and Luna version that its supposed to be supported by AEM tools):

"The server does not support version 2.4 of the J2EE Web module specification."

I don't know if this is a known error whether it is caused by the new version of the tools.

I attach a pic of the warnings that Eclipse shows after trying to create a new Project

I don't know if you could help me with this

Thanks in advance for your help

Juan

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 4

Feike Visser wrote...

I have figured out a workaround...

1. Don't deploy when creating a new project.

2. Once the project is created, create a new server (switch to AEM-perspective), make sure to change the port (default is 8080)

3. Select the modules you want to deploy

Thanks Feike! For some reason I was not able to edit the server port on the new server screen but after I created it I changed it following this guide. Hope it helps anyone else encountering this issue.

http://www.codejava.net/servers/tomcat/how-to-change-port-numbers-for-tomcat-in-eclipse

View solution in original post

24 Replies

Level 2

Hi, I have already did that with 2 versions of eclipse and they are not working, I had already installed eclipse tools before and I had never found this problem

Level 10

Can you explain what are you trying to achieve

Are you creating new project? While creating are you deploying to some server?

Build project to AEM?

Level 2

Hi, I am trying to create a new project with eclipse, it should deploy the project but it gives that error before ending, the 5 folders (core, launcher, test, apps and content are created) but nothing is deployed to the server.

If I try to import something from the server (I have tried with content folder), the error is: "The selected project is not configured with/added to any Sling server"

Level 2

Following those steps I realized that the folders where not set to be sync, I had to use "Add and Remove" to manually set them. Now my Eclipse can deploy things on the server but every time it publishes a file gives this error:

"Publishing failed
Failed installing bundle : Method execution returned status 500
Method execution returned status 500
Failed installing bundle : Method execution returned status 500
Method execution returned status 500"

I don't know what exactly causes the error because files are correctly synchronized with the server when you edit them (I have only tried editing components and clientlibs)

Do you know which could be the cause of these error?

Thank you for your help, at least I can deploy new project from eclipse now 

Juan

Level 10

What happens when you use vlt to try and sycn code between the IDE and the server? 

Level 2

I have used vlt co, ci and update in cmd to check if files were updated properly and everything worked fine.

I still have error 500 when trying to deploy things in eclipse and if I try to set up a new Eclipse with the plugin I get the error msg: "org/eclipse/aether/util/StringUtils" when finishing the wizard after creating/selecting server.

Level 4

I am facing the same error. I have used vlt and maven plugins to export to the server, but I want to setup via Eclipse for convenience and in order to standardize the process in the team. I am using Eclipse Luna (Version: Luna Service Release 2 (4.4.2)), which should be supported according this article: https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/dev-tools/aem-eclipse.html. JDK version is 1.7. Maven version is 3.3.9.

The default project structure does have some components but starting and publishing via Server view in Eclipse does nothing.

More details:

java version "1.7.0_55"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_55-b13)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.55-b03, mixed mode)

Have you figured something else?

Level 4

Same issue here. Was following steps from a Hand On Lab at Adobe Summit. Not sure why I'm getting this error.

Level 10

@ronnyfm, have you added your core, apps modules to the server ?? Once you add, right click and do clean aswell which will resynchronize everything. 

Level 10

@juan, which version of maven archetype are you using ?

Employee

I'm having the same issue: "The server does not support version 2.4 of the J2EE Web module specification".

Tried on both Luna and Mars. In case helpful: JDK / JRE info:

java -version
java version "1.8.0_65"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_65-b17)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.65-b01, mixed mode)

javac -version
javac 1.8.0_65

Level 8

Hi Juan

Make sure you have the correct JAVA_HOME path .

>echo %path%

I faced a somewhat similar issue and checked the java -version, the result was 

java version "1.8.0_73"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_73-b02)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 25.73-b02, mixed mode, sharing)

But my JAVA_HOME was never set, the java auto updater keeps updating and the system was referring to jre build 1.8.0 and not JDK

To fix it, I had to install JDK1.7 and set the path in environment variables.

You can try the same...

Employee

2. Once the project is created, create a new server (switch to AEM-perspective), make sure to change the port (default is 8080)

Correct answer by
Level 4

Feike Visser wrote...

Thanks Feike! For some reason I was not able to edit the server port on the new server screen but after I created it I changed it following this guide. Hope it helps anyone else encountering this issue.

http://www.codejava.net/servers/tomcat/how-to-change-port-numbers-for-tomcat-in-eclipse

Employee

thanks for sharing!, I didn't encounter that error.

Level 4

Thanks Feike, I didn't have the chance to post here, but I also found that workaround, but not only that, but the real cause is the archetype itself.

That is, as you stated the best is not to deploy to the server when creating the project, but creating the server after that.

The message about the Servlet 2.4 API specification is fixed by upgrading the definition in the pom.xml, the same applies to the Java JDK, event the most recent archetype (10) is using JDK 1.6, when in fact, the recommended JDK for AEM is 1.7 or greater, that also must to be updated.

After that, I create a new Server (updating the port numbers too) and add the modules, after all of this being done Eclipse effectively publish to the AEM instance.

Level 2

Hi, thank you all for your help, I also get to make it work by creating a project, and using the Add and Remove to select the folders I want to sync. I still have the problem with error 500 when publishing in 1 of my mates computer and I don't know what to do to fix it.