Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Drag and drop component problem

Level 4

Hello,
in the pages of the "Site" module, when there are many objects, the Aem Cms 6.4 is not able to move the components within the page with drag and drop.
By randomly deleting some objects from the page, Drag and drop works again.
Could you tell us how to solve the problem?
Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

What I have understood that you are referring different authorable component as object here.

Earlier we had this problem. Let me share the steps that we followed :

Problem statement: Let's assume that I have dragged and dropped the text component on middle portion of the page and I am facing some issue to use the text component on that page.

But if I drag and drop that text component alone on page that time I don't have any issue.

It means I need to identify the component which is causing this issue with text component. 

It could be happened due to conflict between components client library. 

Debugging steps:

1. So, we decided to delete already existing components(objects) one by one from the page.

2. While deleting the component we just followed bottom up approach [I am not referring information processing here].

Let's say I am using hero component just before that text component. Then I will delete the hero component first.

3. After removal of each component we just checked whether we could use the text component. 

if not then delete another component and tested again.

We just repeated the step-3  until we identified that component(culprit).

Once we identified that component , next we focused at what level component A(culprit) and text component were getting conflicted and fixed the problem.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi @robertol6836527 ,

You said by randomly deleting some objects from the page drag and drop is working fine, so it means the issue is with those objects. Have you tried debugging the issue?. please provide more clarity on those objects/components.

Thanks

Level 4

Hello,
it is a page where the same component is present repeated many times. Only the text it contains varies between one component and another.
I checked the Cms logs and the browser console but I don't find any errors.
Could it be a problem related to the number of components on the page?
Thanks

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

What I have understood that you are referring different authorable component as object here.

Earlier we had this problem. Let me share the steps that we followed :

Problem statement: Let's assume that I have dragged and dropped the text component on middle portion of the page and I am facing some issue to use the text component on that page.

But if I drag and drop that text component alone on page that time I don't have any issue.

It means I need to identify the component which is causing this issue with text component. 

It could be happened due to conflict between components client library. 

Debugging steps:

1. So, we decided to delete already existing components(objects) one by one from the page.

2. While deleting the component we just followed bottom up approach [I am not referring information processing here].

Let's say I am using hero component just before that text component. Then I will delete the hero component first.

3. After removal of each component we just checked whether we could use the text component. 

if not then delete another component and tested again.

We just repeated the step-3  until we identified that component(culprit).

Once we identified that component , next we focused at what level component A(culprit) and text component were getting conflicted and fixed the problem.

Employee Advisor

Hi @robertol6836527 ,

Is this happening on your local instance or on the server?

I have tried adding more than 40 text component and tried to replicate but the component move still works fine. There is no limitation on number of components used on a page until its too much - >50 (it still works but performance will be slow)

In your case, there might be some issue with the page. I would suggest to create a new page and then try the same steps and see if you can replicate. I have seen issues like this that happened because page got corrupted somehow and behaved randomly.