Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Displaying special characters on AEM

Level 5

I have couple files that have special french characters.

Wondering how to display them on AEM using ISO-8859-1 charset?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

You stated that your use case does involve a workflow.

"Sorry...basically the original file is a XML file which goes through a workflow that creates a text rendition of it pulling only certain information"

You can address this use case by programming a custom workflow step that reads the text - ( including special chars from XML) and writes the special chars to the AEM repos using the JCR API.

I pointed you to code that you can use in your workflow. See article above. So in your custom workflow step - you would use JCR API code like:

Node.setProperty("id", id); 
where id would contain the special char.

There is no out of the box solution from this use case.

That is why we wrote the special char article in the first place - to show how to work with special chars in AEM. This one just involves workflows. 

If you are not familiar with writing a custom workflow step - read this AEM article:

https://helpx.adobe.com/experience-manager/using/creating-custom-aem-workflow-steps.html

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Level 10

Are you trying to display them in JSP pages/components? 

Level 5

Not yet, but for now viewing the files through the DAM.

The initial files are XML (iso-8859-1 charset specified), which displays correctly if I'm opening them up in the DAM.

I created a text rendition of the XML file, that doesn't display the special characters properly.

So I guess the question is how to display special characters on AEM not just through JSP pages to end users, but for the Author/Publisher.

Level 10

The description is so confusing and not clear.

You are saying dam displaying correctly & then saying creating the text rendition of the file. Dam creates rendition & why are you creating again not clear .  Also weather issue at meta data extraction is also not clear.

Are you noticing rendition is not correct & how are you generating rendition. 

Can you attach couple of screenshot to understand the issue better.

Level 10

Take a look at this article - it talks about how to work with special chars in AEM. In this use case - they were posted to AEM:

https://helpx.adobe.com/experience-manager/using/post_chars.html

Level 5

I'm not trying to post things to a servlet, as it's not compatible with the workflow I created.

I just want AEM to display special characters (specifically ISO-8859-1) through out the DAM, is there an OOTB settings within web console that I can

just change or set?

Level 5

Sham HC wrote...

You are saying dam displaying correctly & then saying creating the text rendition of the file. Dam creates rendition & why are you creating again not clear .  Also weather issue at meta data extraction is also not clear.

Sorry...basically the original file is a XML file which goes through a workflow that creates a text rendition of it pulling only certain information

from the original file.

Original file:

[img]Screen Shot 2015-03-23 at 5.47.25 PM.png[/img]

Text Rendition:

[img]Screen Shot 2015-03-23 at 5.47.30 PM.png[/img]

File names:

[img]Screen Shot 2015-03-23 at 5.53.39 PM.png[/img]

Need AEM to display everything in the appropriate charset.

Thanks

Level 10

Ram Raja wrote...

Sham HC wrote...

Sorry...basically the original file is a XML file which goes through a workflow that creates a text rendition of it pulling only certain information

from the original file.

Original file:

Text Rendition:

File names:

Need AEM to display everything in the appropriate charset.

Thanks

You need to convert text into image using media handler. Details at

http://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/cq/5-6-1/dam/dam_media_handlers.html#Command%20Line%20Based%20Media%20...

Correct answer by
Level 10

You stated that your use case does involve a workflow.

"Sorry...basically the original file is a XML file which goes through a workflow that creates a text rendition of it pulling only certain information"

You can address this use case by programming a custom workflow step that reads the text - ( including special chars from XML) and writes the special chars to the AEM repos using the JCR API.

I pointed you to code that you can use in your workflow. See article above. So in your custom workflow step - you would use JCR API code like:

Node.setProperty("id", id); 
where id would contain the special char.

There is no out of the box solution from this use case.

That is why we wrote the special char article in the first place - to show how to work with special chars in AEM. This one just involves workflows. 

If you are not familiar with writing a custom workflow step - read this AEM article:

https://helpx.adobe.com/experience-manager/using/creating-custom-aem-workflow-steps.html