Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Detect mobile or desktop mode from Javascript

Level 4

I have two sightly templates- mobile.html and desktop.html and these 2 templates are called from a common file. 

I want to call the desktop.html only for desktop mode and the mobile.html for mobile mode.

I am trying to call a js file using js Use API from this common file which should return a boolean value based on some calculations using window.innerWidth so I can use data-sly-test and call the templates based on it.
But the if condition for window.innnerWidth is not working. 
Is it because of the use API  the window.innerWidth is failing?

If not, what else could it be ? Anybody who has tried implementing similar use case 

Note : I am trying to avoid Java and would want to use javascript.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Your approach is wrong, you forgot about the caching.

you have to have content from both template and show/hide at client side based on device.

Arun Patidar

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi @SHIBANI06 ,

you can try the simple script below for detecting the mobile or desktop view port in javascript

if (document.documentElement.clientWidth <= 768){
//For Mobile Portrait
}else{
// For Desktop
}

Instead of having separate html for each view port , you can have one html and make it responsive with css/js. Just a suggestion.

Employee Advisor

Your approach is not right. First you need to understand what is js use API- it's server side javascript. It does not execute at client browser. I suggest you use AEM's layout/ emulators/ breakpoints to tailor device based user experiences -[0]. You can opt to hide/ show certain components depending on breakpoint you wish to do so.

Regarding how to identify device at client side js- I would prefer smarter way to do that like this one below- 

const isMobileDevice = /Mobi/i.test(window.navigator.userAgent)

[0]- https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-65/authoring/siteandpage/responsive-layou...

Community Advisor

@SHIBANI06 

1. You could use, its a very useful object in many cases

navigator.userAgent or navigator.appVersion

navigator.userAgent or navigator.appVersion

eg:

navigator.userAgent.match(/Android/i) != null

navigator.userAgent.match(/iPhone/i) != null

2. you can also use- 

window.matchMedia('only screen and (max-width: 768px)').matches;

3. you could use- navigator.userAgentData too, however, may not be so reliable to use.

Level 6

function isMobileDevice() {
return (typeof window.orientation !== "undefined") || (navigator.userAgent.indexOf('IEMobile') !== -1) || (screen.width < 768);
}

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Your approach is wrong, you forgot about the caching.

you have to have content from both template and show/hide at client side based on device.

Arun Patidar