Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session
SOLVED

Customization of AEM 6.2 Comments

Level 2

Hi All,

As part of migrating a site from AEM 5.6 to 6.2, we need to customize the comments component. Please let me know if there is any sample project available on customizing the comments component.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 9

JSP is no longer used for Communities components.

Instead, there is the social component framework (SCF) using Handlebars (HBS) components.

See Social Component Framework.

Of note, when extending or overlaying a component, it is possible to add properties to a modified dialog.

All properties set on a component can be accessed by referencing the property in the hbs template :

{{properties.<property_name>}}

This AEM developer session, Aug 13, 2014, may be of help:

Social Component Framework in AEM 6

"The Social Component Framework (SCF) is available as a featurepack for CQ 5.6.1 and shipped with AEM 6.0.   SCF provides a way to build web and mobile applications that use a hybrid of server rendering to allow search engine optimization of content along with client rendering to avoid page refreshes and provide rich in-page experiences. The same template is used for both client and server rendering, providing assurance that the experience is consistent independent of which rendering is used. Well-defined endpoints allow effective caching of pages, templates and json data, and provide clear extensibility patterns for customers to insert their own client and server logic. This session will cover how to use and extend SCF, and provide information on the documentation and cookbooks available. "

- JK

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 4

What sort of changes do you need to make to it?

The component files are here: /libs/social/commons/components/hbs/comments

You could copy the file structure to the relative path in your apps folder and override the bits you want to change.

Level 2

Thank you for the reply. 

I have to read certain configurations and pass it to the comments component. This was implemented in 5.6 using a custom tag library which made these values accessible to the comments jsp file .

Also in AEM 5.6 we had a name field in the comments component. But this field does not appear in the 6.2 version. Please let me know if this field and the underlying functionality have been removed from 6.2. In that case, I would have to add this through customization.  

Correct answer by
Level 9

JSP is no longer used for Communities components.

Instead, there is the social component framework (SCF) using Handlebars (HBS) components.

See Social Component Framework.

Of note, when extending or overlaying a component, it is possible to add properties to a modified dialog.

All properties set on a component can be accessed by referencing the property in the hbs template :

{{properties.<property_name>}}

This AEM developer session, Aug 13, 2014, may be of help:

Social Component Framework in AEM 6

"The Social Component Framework (SCF) is available as a featurepack for CQ 5.6.1 and shipped with AEM 6.0.   SCF provides a way to build web and mobile applications that use a hybrid of server rendering to allow search engine optimization of content along with client rendering to avoid page refreshes and provide rich in-page experiences. The same template is used for both client and server rendering, providing assurance that the experience is consistent independent of which rendering is used. Well-defined endpoints allow effective caching of pages, templates and json data, and provide clear extensibility patterns for customers to insert their own client and server logic. This session will cover how to use and extend SCF, and provide information on the documentation and cookbooks available. "

- JK

Level 2

Thanks JK. The session was very helpful.