Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Can we build complete CMS Website in AEM without having knowledge in Java?

Level 1

Our client want to build CMS site in AEM so can we build in AEM without working experience in Java? or can we developed in other front-end language like NextJs, ReactJs, Angular etc in AEM? We want to build similar website like WordPress. Like, we can update content from WordPress Admin panel and it will affect at Front-end site. Today I am going with many blogs, documents and videos. For the template customization and AEM Component creation  we need knowledge in Java. Can you please guide us here? How can we build site from scratch? 

NileshJoliya_0-1698925346205.png

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

JSP should no longer be required. It's discouraged to use JSPs in AEM for quite some time (although you might still find some legacy implementations in AEM based on JSP).

To setup up a project in AEM and get to a first, simple website running on a DEV server might be possible if you are basing your setup on the common patterns and best practices, such as Core Components, Editable Templates, Style System and adapting examples like the WKDN website from the tutorial.

However, you will probably face impediments as soon as your requirements derive from then examples and get more complex. Also, it's quite common that a platform built without good overview and technical background of the technology involved will not be a very sustainable foundation for a future-proof system.

I'd highly recommend to start with some enablement on your end, being it via the mentioned WKDN tutorial, trainings or collaboration/coaching with/from someone with good AEM expertise and experience.

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Employee Advisor

Hi @NileshJoliya!

AEM is a powerful but also complex platform that has a deep tech stack with various layers.

While it has improved on various levels in terms of required efforts for setup, development and customization over the last years, I'd still argue that it would be quite risky to run an AEM project without prior enablement and experience.

While I'm not saying that it's impossible to create a small and simple website in AEM without some knowledge of Java (and the rest of the stack), I'm pretty sure that it's important to have a good understanding of the tech stack if you want to build a website in AEM that goes beyond very simple use cases.

To get a first overview and impression on how to build a website in AEM, please check out the WKDN tutorial. It gives you a good walk-through with hands-on examples.

Hope that helps!

Level 1

@markus_bulla_adobe Thanks for the feedback. For the initial setup also need required skills in Maven, JSP etc. Can we create simple website using Drag and Drop tools for website section without prior knowledge? 
second thing for the customization template and create component I must have knowledge in above tech stack. Am I right?

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

JSP should no longer be required. It's discouraged to use JSPs in AEM for quite some time (although you might still find some legacy implementations in AEM based on JSP).

To setup up a project in AEM and get to a first, simple website running on a DEV server might be possible if you are basing your setup on the common patterns and best practices, such as Core Components, Editable Templates, Style System and adapting examples like the WKDN website from the tutorial.

However, you will probably face impediments as soon as your requirements derive from then examples and get more complex. Also, it's quite common that a platform built without good overview and technical background of the technology involved will not be a very sustainable foundation for a future-proof system.

I'd highly recommend to start with some enablement on your end, being it via the mentioned WKDN tutorial, trainings or collaboration/coaching with/from someone with good AEM expertise and experience.

Hope that helps!

Community Advisor

@NileshJoliya ,

AEM technology stack is vast and Java language is integral part of that technology stack. You maybe able to create a simple website using OOTB Core components and Templates without much programming knowledge on Java but any website won't stay simple forever. 

If the requirement is to have a simple website, IMO spending so many $$ to get AEM license is not justifiable. 

AEM shines not only with the ability to create and publish web pages on the go, in production environment but also the flexibility to customize as per the different business use cases.

Administrator

@NileshJoliya Did you find the suggestions from users helpful? Please let us know if more information is required. Otherwise, please mark the answer as correct for posterity. If you have found out solution yourself, please share it with the community.

Kautuk Sahni