Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Best way to design header and footer in editable template?

Level 4

I want to design a header and footer for an editable template,

Option 1 – Place whatever component is required for  header and footer in Initial content of editable template so that I will page created with this template will have the header and footer

Option 2 – Place header and footer components in experience fragment and use it in Initial content.

Which option is most recommended one in editable template ?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@Anderson_Hamer Please refer to below article, which talks about three different ways of implementing Header and Footer.

http://www.sgaemsolutions.com/2019/10/implementing-header-and-footer-with.html

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Level 6

In most cases it's ideal to place header and footer in the template structure instead of initial content of the template as header and footer are present through out the site and the content is same in all pages.

Again, whether you keep it in structure/initial content, it's ideal to keep header and footer as experience fragments and then include the experience fragment into the template.

If you are keeping header footer in structure, you must keep them as experience fragments if you are planning to have language copies in your site.

Community Advisor

Option 2 – Place header and footer components in experience fragment and use it in Initial content.

A recent implementation I've done is place the experience fragment into the editable template as a locked component. 

Community Advisor

I understand neither is a permanent option. 

Traditional implementation will be usually header and footer components included in header and footer via base page editable template. But not as initial content,  that might not be ideal. Straight forward to follow.

Using XF can provide an advantage of using header/footer variations if any in different site templates

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@Anderson_Hamer Please refer to below article, which talks about three different ways of implementing Header and Footer.

http://www.sgaemsolutions.com/2019/10/implementing-header-and-footer-with.html

Level 2

In editable templates, best way would be using experience fragments