Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Any plans for JDK 9 compatibility?

Level 3

As enterprises will require a paid licence from Oracle to continue getting security updates for Java SE 8 after January 2019 and there is no option currently to run AEM on JDK 9 - what is the recommendation from Adobe? Is there any plan to make AEM 6.4 compatible with Java 9? Should enterprises just accept the added cost or continue running AEM on the last publicly available version of JDK 8 regardless of any security vulnerabilities discovered post January 2019?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Even if there is an Adobe internal agreement or common knowledge how the support strategy is for the upcoming java versions: It's not up to me to communicate that here in this forum. It needs to be part of the official documentation, and then I will happily reference it. But until then I cannot do any statement either on my own or on behalf of Adobe.

And that's the reason I pointed you to Daycare. That's the official channel to request these kind of information. I can raise this question internally as well, but customer request give it more weight :-)

Jörg

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Employee Advisor

As any non-longterm version of Java is supported only for a very short period of time (till the release of the next non-LTS version), the value of support for it can be questioned. I would expect that Adobe is more likely to support Java 11 (for which Oracle provides LTS support) than java 9 and 10. Check out the EOL roadmap for these versions at Oracle Java SE Support Roadmap (and btw java 9 is already EOLed).

Jörg

Level 3

Good point Jörg. But still my question remains. Should we expect anything from Adobe in terms of support for JDK 9-10-11 in the next 6 months?

Community Advisor

Dear Endoriel,

9 is already out of public support window and contains vulnerabilities, most of corporates will stick with JDK 11, so it would be expected you get 11 support.

Regards,

Peter

Level 3

Jörg already mentioned that and reiterating it doesn't answer my question which is if we should expect to pay Oracle support licence for Java 8 updates from 2019 or is Adobe doing anything to move to a newer JDK in the next 6 months.

Employee Advisor

If you need a definite statement about this, please raise a Daycare ticket for it. This forum isn't an offical support platform of Adobe, and we cannot speak for Adobeits and its product support roadmap.

regards,

Jörg

Level 3

Thank you for the suggestion Jörg. This was not in relation to a particular project or a specific case, which would be better suited in a Daycare ticket like you mentioned.

It's just a generic question. I was hoping that it might be common knowledge in Adobe if this is likely to come in the near future and something that one of the active staff members in here could share with us. It would definitely be good to have some idea if it's likely to happen or not when planning for existing and new projects.

As Java 11 is planned for September 2018 and AEM 6.4 SP2 and SP3 are due by the end of this year, I am hoping one of them will hopefully bring support for JDK 11 but some transparency on this subject would be great.

It would also be good to know if it's likely to get JDK 11 support on older versions of AEM as this would likely have an impact on upgrade plans of legacy projects and the adoption of AEM 6.4 on new projects. Thoughts?

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Even if there is an Adobe internal agreement or common knowledge how the support strategy is for the upcoming java versions: It's not up to me to communicate that here in this forum. It needs to be part of the official documentation, and then I will happily reference it. But until then I cannot do any statement either on my own or on behalf of Adobe.

And that's the reason I pointed you to Daycare. That's the official channel to request these kind of information. I can raise this question internally as well, but customer request give it more weight :-)

Jörg

Level 10

There will never be feature announcements posted here before they are announced officially. As there has been no official announcement of JDK 10/11 support - we cannot comment on that here or on other community channels - like Linked IN, etc.