Expand my Community achievements bar.

Guidelines for the Responsible Use of Generative AI in the Experience Cloud Community.
SOLVED

AEM Not suitable WCM Applications

Level 7

Hi,

Are there any examples of WCM applications, for which AEM is not the right fitment?

Because of performance or too many integrations requirements, or some other reason, we may say AEM does not serve the purpose very well..

Could you please let me know any such cases?

Appreciate your response.

Thanks,

Rama.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 9

Are there any examples of WCM applications, for which AEM is not the right fitment?

I can think of one thing: It is a cost of the overall project including License cost. Not very useful for smaller & mid size companies.

---

Jitendra

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Level 10

You can use AEM for an applications, but you need to know where AEM fits in your overall application architecture and how you design your pages.

Level 10

AEM is Java platform and can be hooked into network resources like relational database,

If something is not available out of the box - the powerful thing about AEM is you can build it be it a back-end service via OSGi, a mobile application to run on IoS or Android, a new component that is built with Angular or Bootstrap, and so on. 

Level 7

I could think of a scenario like this.

If the client is already having an RDBMS like Oracle and wants that WCM should be built on top of this.

Thanks,

Rama.

Level 10

For sure - this is why DataSourcePool service was built. You can inject a DataSourcePool into an OSGi service that can perform CRUD operations on Oracle data and integrate AEM pages with data from the database.

Correct answer by
Level 9

I can think of one thing: It is a cost of the overall project including License cost. Not very useful for smaller & mid size companies.

---

Jitendra

Level 7

Hi Scott,

Using DataSourcePool , could we use an RDBMS as the repository?

Is JCR being replaced by an RDBMS?

My understanding is that DataSourcePool helps to connect with an RDBMS and perform CRUD operations only and wont replace JCR based repository.

The use case I was referring to was to use an existing RDBMS in the repository layer.

Thanks,

Rama.