Expand my Community achievements bar.

AEM / JCR in read only mode

Level 3

Hello,

I want to temporarily put aem / jcr in read only mode. I swear I've seen a page mentioning this, but I can't find it anymore. 

Perhaps through a JMX command? Does anyone know?

Thx,

Federico

6 Replies

Level 9

Hi,

Can you elaborate your use case?. Why do you mean by saying you want to put aem/jcr in read only mode?.

Are you saying you don't want to load authoring experience in AEM when somebody logged in?

federicos72779295 wrote...

Hello,

I want to temporarily put aem / jcr in read only mode. I swear I've seen a page mentioning this, but I can't find it anymore. 

Perhaps through a JMX command? Does anyone know?

Thx,

Federico

Level 3

Sure.

We're doing blue/green deployments, which create a content freeze window. During this time we tell the authors not to create any new content, because it will not be available in the new environment. We want to enforce that restriction.

Employee

What about changing the dispatcher config, to not allow POSTs in /content?

Or changing permissions of a group that authors belong to.

Employee Advisor

IIRC you are referring to a feature, which was required to create a hot-backup of a CRX 2.x repository, and which required that in the final stage write operations to the repo are blocked. With Oak this is no longer required and therefor also not implemented. And it would have been a poor choice for your usecase as well, because it just blocks write operations, and does not deny them.

I don't think that there is any easy way to prevent authors from making changes. Changing permissions could be a solution, but implementing this is probably not easy and therefor not feasible. Blocking certain requests sound good, but changes are not only performed by POST requests.

Jörg

Level 3

Thanks a lot for all the comments. We're also considering using https://adobe-consulting-services.github.io/acs-aem-commons/features/system-notifications.html, which afaik will not enforce it, but should be enough for our use case.

Level 2

Sounds like the intention is to prevent any more publishes from going out to the world. Rather than restrict authoring, do consider restricting the publishing feature when such a freeze is in place.