Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

AEM 6.5 support for Docker and Kubernetes

Level 1

Hi there,

I've created a Docker Image by following the technical support instructions provided on Adobe's website. This image is built using CentOS 7, Oracle JRE official, and is available for you to test at https://hub.docker.com/r/pawangonnakuti/aem-author  and https://hub.docker.com/r/pawangonnakuti/aem-publish

As this image meets all technical requirements would it be eligible for Adobe's Support? Considering the only difference is the hosting platform from VMware/Hyper-v to Docker.

Also, the technical requirements state "cloud computing environments" where a Kubernetes cluster is a cloud computing environment unless Adobe understanding is different.

"Adobe Experience Manager is supported running in a virtual machine on cloud computing environments, such as Microsoft Azure and Amazon Web Services (AWS), in compliance with the technical requirements listed on this page, and according to Adobe’s standard support terms."

So, can you please clarify if Adobe supports the way these containers are created?

Regards

Pawan Gonnakuti

changed docker urls to public view urls

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Sorry I meant to say Not Supported

Updated

Pawan,

I agree with you that you can have AEM running within a container but that not a fully tested/supported scenario yet.

I have confirmed this with Adobe Engineering team and there is NO docker support in AEM 6.5.

In other words, running AEM within a container is NOT officially supported. That being said, there should be something official on this topic this summer. Stay Tuned!

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Employee Advisor

Pawan,

I am not able to find the official document for AEM with Docker/Kubernetes. Can you share the URL and I will be able to validate that internally and get back to you?

Employee

Hi Pawan,

We will provide support based on https://helpx.adobe.com/experience-manager/6-5/sites/deploying/using/technical-requirements.html

Any other issue will be supported only if we can duplicate the same on a supported OS.

Example: we will support an issue with AEM functionality but not a performance related issue on an unsupported platform.

Level 1

Hi Jaideep/berliant,

Thanks for your response, however, if you see my first post I've provided the link to the docker containers for you to verify and suggest.

Jaideep, from the technical documentation standpoint I do not see VMware or Hyper-v as well. So how is a docker platform different from the other platforms?

berliant, I was intrigued by your comment on Supported OS, the docker container (that i've provided) is running CentOS 7, which is a supported OS, and running Oracle JRE 8 which is also a supported JVM.

Jaideep and berliant, I highly recommend that you run the containers I've provided to gauge the reproducibility and supportability of the docker containers.

Regards

Pawan

Employee Advisor

Pawan,

I agree with you that you can have AEM running within a container but that not a fully tested/supported scenario yet.

I have confirmed this with Adobe Engineering team and there is no docker support in AEM 6.5.

In other words, running AEM within a container is officially supported. That being said, there should be something official on this topic this summer. Stay Tuned!

Level 2

JaideepBrar

Can you clarify the following sentences?

You said the following:

A) "I have confirmed this with Adobe Engineering team and there is no docker support in AEM 6.5"

B) "In other words, running AEM within a container is officially supported"

Is there no support or Is it officially supported?

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Sorry I meant to say Not Supported

Updated

Pawan,

I have confirmed this with Adobe Engineering team and there is NO docker support in AEM 6.5.

In other words, running AEM within a container is NOT officially supported. That being said, there should be something official on this topic this summer. Stay Tuned!

Level 1

Hi JaideepBrar

Have I missed the news or when will they be communicated in summer?

Best

Mario

Employee Advisor

Right now there is no update out there.

Level 1

Hi

When can official communication be expected?

Thank you

Best regards

Mario

Employee Advisor

I am not aware of any announcement or even the announcement of an announcement date. I would recommend you to open a support ticket and get the authoritative information directly from there.

Jörg